Pausing Live TV - 43UP81006LA

arst06d

Novice Member
Hi

I bought this 43UP81006LA TV (2021 model) to replace a failing Samsung, and have it on FREESAT

I'm looking for how to pause Live TV so I can take a phone call for example, then resume watching where I left off.

I have a USB stick in the back and can record programmes to it but I see no method to pause and resume.

How do I do this?

Searching the web I see different layouts of the Magic Remote. I also see reference to having to set up Time Machine using the Q Menu (123) button. I do not have such a button. However, since I can record to the USB stick I'm assuming this is Time Machine is already enabled. However I see no facility to Pause Live TV.

I have also attached a SSD (tried both USB ports) and still see no option other than to record the program for x mins or to the end, or to schedule recording. Nothing about pausing and resuming.
Thanks

Last edited:

arst06d

Novice Member
OK I found how to do it.
- it's not intuitive, is it?
On the Magic Remote, under the 9 key there's a key marked with an ellipsis (...). This brings up a menu on which is Live Recording. Clicking that it starts recording and I can then freeze the screen (although recording continues) and resume when needed. Only works with the SSD attached NOT a USB stick.

The question now is - is there a quick shortcut to start the Live Recording AND freeze the screen? I don't want to have to scroll back through the program to find my place.

On my Samsung it was just a one button press on the remote (Pause like on an old tape machine) and another one click to PLAY when I was ready. Plus to a USB stick.

I know you can get ordinary remotes for LG TVs rather than the Magic Remote - do they have the buttons and functionality I'm after? Why should I have to buy another piece of kit?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

freemansteve

Novice Member
LG and other TV makers are very annoying in trying to build-in obsolescence as fast as possible, including for remotes. In my view, such non-eco products should be heavily taxed. That aside, equally annoying is how they reduce the functionality of remotes for mysterious reasons, or stupidity - I just bought my disabled son a new LG TV to replace a 13year old (dead) Samsung (who I hate even more because their software is terrible - ask me if you don't agree - I'm a dev engineer).

I bought him a 2021 LG, model 4378006LB, and it's OK. I have recent LG OLED, and a bedroom TV - both good enough. I bought him a 320G 2.5" HDD and SATA-USB3 case for under £20, knowing that my TVs won't use USB flash drives (even those perfectly fast enough) - which is also stupid and annoying. I knew he'd like the live pause and replay as well as scheduling recordings.....

Like the OP, he found the remote was terrible (compared with the two I have) in that there are no Pause or Play buttons - he finds it difficult to go through several other selections just to stop the TV for a comfort break.

Me knowing that the IR part of remote controllers is generally interchangeable for a given manufacturer, I bought him one of these:

It has the necessary pause and play buttons. It does not have the magic pointer (which is otherwise excellent), but it works with his new TV and he is happy with multiple remotes for various bits of kit....

Problem solved, but what is wrong with LG?
Total f*wits....

arst06d

Novice Member
LG and other TV makers are very annoying in trying to build-in obsolescence as fast as possible, including for remotes. In my view, such non-eco products should be heavily taxed. That aside, equally annoying is how they reduce the functionality of remotes for mysterious reasons, or stupidity - I just bought my disabled son a new LG TV to replace a 13year old (dead) Samsung (who I hate even more because their software is terrible - ask me if you don't agree - I'm a dev engineer).

I bought him a 2021 LG, model 4378006LB, and it's OK. I have recent LG OLED, and a bedroom TV - both good enough. I bought him a 320G 2.5" HDD and SATA-USB3 case for under £20, knowing that my TVs won't use USB flash drives (even those perfectly fast enough) - which is also stupid and annoying. I knew he'd like the live pause and replay as well as scheduling recordings.....

Like the OP, he found the remote was terrible (compared with the two I have) in that there are no Pause or Play buttons - he finds it difficult to go through several other selections just to stop the TV for a comfort break.

Me knowing that the IR part of remote controllers is generally interchangeable for a given manufacturer, I bought him one of these:

It has the necessary pause and play buttons. It does not have the magic pointer (which is otherwise excellent), but it works with his new TV and he is happy with multiple remotes for various bits of kit....

Problem solved, but what is wrong with LG?
Total f*wits....
I queried with LG and received the following:

I have looked at the product specification for this model TV and unfortunately, a standard remote is not available with this TV, this has a magic remote. We apologise for any inconvenience, but a lot of customers find that our magic remotes are much better than the standard remotes and we would agree.

To be able to record on these TV's you will need a USB hard drive plugged into the TV between 40GB and 2TB.
For a fiver I'll try one of the remotes you mention. Does it just work or will I have to program it somehow?

freemansteve

Novice Member
yes - LG do talk rubbish! They are there to check stupid people have actually plugged the TV in, and beyond that, they know less than an informed and curious user!

I also checked using live chat with LG.

In my case, with a series of careful questions, they agreed that many LG remotes would work, but only for basic button functions using IR - sure, the magic pointer won't work on other remotes; I think it's Bluetooth based and they code things to exclude models on a year-by-year basis to create obsolescence and confusion.

Go ahead and buy a £5-6 recent LG controller like I suggested, and it probably will work (it did for me on 3 LG TVs) to at least to give you the Pause/Play functions.. And there is NO pairing or programming involved.... Batteries in, point and pause! (assuming a working HDD on a USB port on the TV)

In the case of my disabled son, he only needs the Pause/Play feature once in a while, so having a second controller is worth it. A pity it just didn't work with the (poor, but Magic) controller out of the box. The LG product marketing people should be sacked, as they have no idea....! But we will never buy Samsung - bringing software ineptitude to new levels!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom