• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pause stream

wftomlin

Novice Member
Noob question here.
I live in a rural area and have been on a Verizon Home Fusion plan for about 4 years. That plan is capped at 30GB/month so I've never streamed before. I recently signed up for an AT&T wireless plan that will allow me to stream. I've been checking the speed (with testmy.net) and it's been as high as 16mbps and as low as 4.5mbps. I'm thinking of signing up for a monthly Netflix streaming plan, but would like to know if there's a way to maybe start the stream, let it buffer for a while ahead of time to allow for less stopping during the stream, as 4.5mbps is on the edge of needed speed.

Not sure if this makes sense. As I said, I've never streamed before but would like to be able to watch a movie without constant stopping and starting. I'll be watching HD movies BTW.

Thanks

-Gonzo-

Distinguished Member
Nope you cannot do that with Netflix, Netflix monitors your speed as your streaming so will only stream in the quality your line can handle to prevent buffering during the stream.

wftomlin

Novice Member
Thanks for replying.
Does this mean the stream could switch between HD and SD on the fly if the speed drops? Do they upscale? Is there some place I could go to read about how that sort of thing works? Thanks again.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam

wftomlin

Novice Member
I'm going to have to just sign up and test things out I guess.

When I test, I try a few different sites. Just now:
Fast.com = 4.5mbps
speedtest.net = 10.98mbps
testmy.net = 13mbps
my own linux program = 9.2mbps

I realize that site congestion is a concern and will affect speed.
Thanks again everyone.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
This is what I originally was thinking about, but for a TV. I can't see (no pun intended) watching a movie on a 4" or 10" screen when I have a 55" TV hooked to a 7.2 A/V receiver :eek:
Thanks for replying.

You can connect many mobile devices to a large TV in many ways. My laptop simply connects by HDMI cable to the front HDMI input of my Yamaha receiver. As for my phone and tablet both of which have more pixels than 1920 x 1080 I simply stick a chromecast in the Yamaha front HDMI port.

wftomlin

Novice Member
You can connect many mobile devices to a large TV in many ways. My laptop simply connects by HDMI cable to the front HDMI input of my Yamaha receiver. As for my phone and tablet both of which have more pixels than 1920 x 1080 I simply stick a chromecast in the Yamaha front HDMI port.

Hmmm... Thanks for that. I'm going to subscribe for a month (now have 3 DVDs/month plan) and see what happens. You've all given me some ideas to try out. Thanks again!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom