Pause And Play = Sound Delay

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Some Bloke, Dec 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Some Bloke

Some Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    Whenever I pause the playback or a recorded program, the sound continues for a few seconds.
    Then when I continue playback, there's no sound for a few seconds.
    Is this normal ? The Sky HD box had instant picture and sound pause.

Also why do some channels volume settings work with the volume control on the box and others need the TV's volume adjusting ?

Humax FoxSat HDR box.

Grassy Arse :)

2. Railway

Railway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    This happens when the sound is Dolby Digital, I think when playing a recording it's because of the time offset between the audio and video (the digital bitstream sound has already been sent to the receiver or tv to decode). You can't adjust the volume for the same reason that the audio is not converted to analogue by the box so just the Dolby Digital is sent as is, this can't have the volume adjusted until it's converted to analogue.
    Dolby Digital is (as far as I know) only used on HD channels. SD channels use MP2 which is converted to analogue by the box and hence can be adjusted.
    I think there's an option in settings to turn off Dolby Digital when I presune the box sends out analogue PCM audio which should work ok but you'll loose the benefits of Dolby Digital.

3. Some Bloke

Some Bloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +571
    Thank you very much for the explanation :smashin: