Paul's loft Cinema

paul211b

Hello, thanks for looking.

I need some help from the wonderful people on this forum..

Having just bought a new house there is a loft that has already been converted.

I have painted the walls green but need some advice.

Do I paint the ceiling the same colour or leave it white?

I am not buying a screen just yet. I am going to project onto a nicely painted white wall. Do I create a 16:9 screen with a black border or do I carry on the green leaving a white 16x9 box?

I am planing on mounting the Sony 40s on the ceiling. The room is about 18ft long by 16ft wide.

Do I paint the radiators green? Was thinking of getting a grey carpet for the floor.

All options and suggestions appreciated.

Below is a picture after I just painted wall of the projector in action.

Once decided on the screen size do I mount the projector and then create the "screen" or create the "screen" and size the image to fit.

Also some pictures of the current paint job that needs a 2nd coat. I just do not know how best to proceed.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20210318_193506.jpg
    IMG_20210318_193506.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_20210318_193501.jpg
    IMG_20210318_193501.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210318_193349.jpg
    IMG_20210318_193349.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210318_193410.jpg
    IMG_20210318_193410.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20210318_193406.jpg
    IMG_20210318_193406.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20210313_180118.jpg
    IMG_20210313_180118.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 87

jamieu

Where are you planing to place your centre channel speaker, or are you just going to go with a phantom centre?

Atheistically — if this isn't a dedicate cinema room and the room/green paint is dark enough with the lights off — I think I'd be inclined to skip a painted black border and just finish with the green as the edge of the screen as it will look less obvious when the light are on. You could always tape a black flock border on later if you wanted, although I'd be inclined to live with it taped in place with blu-tack or similar before affixing it permanently if you went that route.

paul211b

Thanks for the reply.
I was planning on putting the center below the image maybe tilted up a bit to the seating position. Possibly a slightly smaller screen to accommodate.

I am planning on just having this as a cinema room so should I blakc border it? Or should I just use the green as the border to the screen

I painted the ceiling green in the end as due to how they built the ceiling getting a nice straight line was difficult so just painted it. Hopefully is nice and dark.

Have some hue for the lights and the room has velux blackout blinds I think it will be quite dark.

To draw the screen.. Would you hang the projector and then mark it out. Or mark out a 16:9 box and then use the projecter settings to make it fit?

paul211b

Where are you planing to place your centre channel speaker, or are you just going to go with a phantom centre?

Atheistically — if this isn't a dedicate cinema room and the room/green paint is dark enough with the lights off — I think I'd be inclined to skip a painted black border and just finish with the green as the edge of the screen as it will look less obvious when the light are on. You could always tape a black flock border on later if you wanted, although I'd be inclined to live with it taped in place with blu-tack or similar before affixing it permanently if you went that route.
Also what size black border should I be creating?

jamieu

Also what size black border should I be creating?

It's really up to you, there's no hard and fast rule, the border is simply there to frame the projected image. If your room/paint is dark enough it may be doing that already.

jamieu

Thanks for the reply.
I was planning on putting the center below the image maybe tilted up a bit to the seating position. Possibly a slightly smaller screen to accommodate.

Just wanted to check you'd factored that in :)

If this is a dedicated room and you don't already have speakers, you might want to think about later plans to build a false wall/frame out of wood/stud-work and place all three front speakers behind an acoustic transparent screen which will solve that issue. See this post for an example.

I am planning on just having this as a cinema room so should I blakc border it? Or should I just use the green as the border to the screen

See my previous post, I'd see how it looks without a border first — unless you want to accentuate the fact that you're using that wall as a screen.

If your room/paint is already dark enough it will already be acting as border. Although no harm taping a 2" flock border to the edges if you wanted it to look more like a screen. It will probably help a bit with contrast and framing the image. But you need to weight that up against what the wall will look like — with 2" flock tape border — when not being used as a screen. That's your choice/decision.

To draw the screen.. Would you hang the projector and then mark it out. Or mark out a 16:9 box and then use the projecter settings to make it fit?

If you already have the projector I'd probably use the projector to calculate the size. That way you can adjust the image and see what size looks best from your seating position — bigger isn't always better.

Just make sure the edges of the projected image are square, with a set-square or similar. Or get the rough size with the projector first and then draw a 16:9 box by hand so you are sure the dimensions / edges are straight and at 90 degrees to each other.

Last edited:

paul211b

Thanks. Still need to put the projector on the ceiling. I'll then see what sort of image is possible. You say bigger is not always better. Any tips? I need to look at doing, sit a certain distance for example. If I go for say 120" how far should the seating position be.

jamieu

Thanks. Still need to put the projector on the ceiling. I'll then see what sort of image is possible. You say bigger is not always better. Any tips? I need to look at doing, sit a certain distance for example. If I go for say 120" how far should the seating position be.

In much the same way as people sit in different seats in the cinema — front, middle or back, it's subjective. But x1.4 to x2.1 screen widths (16:9) is roughly the range you want to be in.

There are plenty of calculators online to help you calculate viewing angles and companies like THX list recommendations, but there's no single, hard and fast value that is correct for everyone. Also bear in mind that when you watch 2.35:1 content on a 16:9 screen it will project a smaller image/be letterboxed. So if you watch a lot of 2.35:1 you might want to go a bit larger.

Given you have the projector try different some sizes/distances over a few nights with different content and ratios. Although remember 2.35:1 content will be letterboxed to the 16:9 masked screen. So you need to project that 2.35:1 content as if it's going to be sitting in that 16:9 frame/screen to get a proper idea off what it will look like.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom