Paul simon vs bob dylan

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by vinylman, Feb 23, 2013.

1. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone up for a debate? I love them both but Paul Simon pips Dylan to the post for me...

2. gavinl1967

gavinl1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Paul Simon every time for me, Bob Dylan just cannot sing :thumbsdow

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Dylan any day. Simon and Garfunkel are great, but I find Simon's solo albums utter pap.

4. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Dylan for me too, only thing that tires me about Dylan is the amount of tv adverts that have been using his songs since forever:rolleyes:

5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Another vote for Dylan here, I'm with overkill on this one love the S&G stuff and have a fair few albums but have never liked Paul Simon's solo stuff...except for one song "50 ways to leave your lover" I like most if not all Bob Dylan and even caught him on a good day when I saw him live...i don't think it's just the voice with Dylan, it more the lyrics...tune... in store a Paul Simon album will probably sit in the racks for weeks yet the Dylan albums always sell.

Curly

6. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Dylan writes great lyrics and has some fantastic albums eg highway 61 revisited, John Wesley Harding, blonde on blonde, blood on the tracks BUT Paul Simon is GOD... He writes the most amazing music, some of his songs are like gorgeous lullabies and others are so rhythmic. He reinvents himself time after time. My favourite album is his first eponymous one...

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Ditto. Saw him at Wembley with Santana (who were superb) UB40 (who were utterly dismal) and Nick Lowe (ok-ish). Started slowly, but then got into his stride, and ended by blowing our socks off with some energetically delivered oldies.

Dylan is one of the all time greats, Simon, well...........

8. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    I was at that gig..1984 iirc...I didn't think UB40 were that bad, but then I was under the influence when they were on...I remember van Morrison and Chrissie Hynde guesting but according to Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dylan_1984_European_Tour Eric Clapton also guested which I don't remember.. Mick Taylor on guitar was awesome.. I have the "Real Live" live album from the tour... anyway, small world and all that...

Curly

9. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,940
    Simon for me but why one against the other?

Bri

10. tvmcp

tvmcp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Singer against singer - not really any contest, Paul Simon even as a Dylan fan, I appreciate Dylans voice is an aquired taste.

Song writer against song writer - not really any contest again, Dylan wins that one hands down.

11. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I know what you mean but I do find that Dylan's songs can be repetitive sometimes. I find Simon's more musical and varied. Simon is definitely the better singer and he plays excellent finger style guitar.

12. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I thought it would be interesting to get people's views as it's a recurring debate I have with my friend...

13. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,940
    Bette Midler recorded this with Dylan shortly after she broke up with Simon. Listen out for Dylan's remark around 3.40 in.

BETTE MIDLER (with BOB DYLAN) buckets of rain

Bri

14. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  15. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,940
    Simon and Midler split up after an arguement over the recording of a number for his Still Crazy After All These Years album. It maybe a refference to that. Simon completed the number with Phoebe Snow.

Bri

16. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    I've never really thought about comparing the two, to be honest.

I can see the singer/songwriter thing, but then you might as well bring James Taylor (IMO a better singer and guitar player than either) or John Martyn or Nick Drake, etc into the debate.

They're just different.

Cards on table, I'm a big Dylan fan. I have all his "official" albums and a number of bootlegs, but as the two are so different, it's an impossible comparison IMO.

Yes, PS is a better singer than Dylan, and probably a better guitarist, but there would be 2 Dylan songs in my Desert Island Discs and no Paul Simon (or Simon & Garfunkel) songs.

Just my view, of course.

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    So was I, but they were so boring I fell asleep. Not helped by the WB, but there you go! One of my mates there was a big UB40 fan, and even he said they sucked.

I remember fat boy and Chrisse Hynde, but Clapton? :confused: Mick Taylor was indeed excellent. Me ma' reckoned he was better with Dylan than with the Stones.

She saw the Stones several times in her youth from the Eel Pie Island days through to the early 70's. She's not really sure why as she thought they were crap every time! :laugh:

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    I think the OP was looking at two of the truly huge song writing solo artists of our time. Whilst I would rate Roy Harper far higher than either of them, and Nick Drake and John Martyn as worthy challengers, none of them are as 'big' as Dylan and Simon.

Not a fan of James Taylor so I can't comment.

19. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,214
    I appreciate the music of Dylan, the lyrics but I can't really say I'm a fan of his voice. Paul Simon I loved his music as S&G, some of the early work was stunning in it's simplicity and harmonies. To me the best voice and musician is James Taylor and he is my favourite out of the three, sorry to make it a three way vote though. To be honest it is really hard to make a call they are all so very good.

I've only been lucky enough to have seen James Taylor in concert in Cardiff. What a night. Just has to be one of the best solo performers around, even now.

As a parting shot anyone got Thea Gilmore's 'John Wesley Harding'?

20. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,186
    If I'm honest, I'm not a huge JT fan. However, he did a live session on Ken Bruce's radio show a year or 2 ago and did a staggering version of Carolina In My Mind.

His voice sounds exactly like it did 20-30 years ago.

21. vinylman

vinylman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    JT was great at that reunion gig with Carole King at the Troubador. The CD/DVD combo is worth owning!
    However, I do find some of James Taylor's songs a bit MOR. Of course, it all comes down to taste and that is what makes music so exciting, but I absolutely love Paul Simon. To me, he is a musical and lyrical genius and his songs continue to add shades of meaning/understanding/pure happiness and enjoyment to my life! That sounds a bit over the top, I know, but-like the rest of you- music means so much to me and I recognise Paul's contributions from run that body down and something so right through to diamonds on the soles of her shoes, the obvious child, you're the one and the afterlife as hugely influential achievements and, above all, songs that I know I will listen to over and over again until my dying day. For me, there are many brilliant brilliant artists and albums that I eventually grow tired of but not the great Paul Simon - Paul forever!