Patton to get new transfer

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The previous release was a DNR mess and Fox are re-issuing Patton next month but it's not worth getting your hopes up ...just yet. According to the Digital Bits Fox are working on a new transfer. Here's hoping:

"We've spoken with the good folks at 20th Century Fox and have learned that they ARE in fact working on a new HD master of Patton. It appears that it will NOT be included on the 5/10 Blu-ray re-issue of the title, however the studio tells me they ARE working to make it available on Blu-ray to all of you sometime before the end of the year. We'll post all the official details as soon as the studio provides them. Just know that a new remastered Blu-ray IS coming later this year and we'll let you know more when release plans are set. "

The Digital Bits: Celebrating Film on Disc - DVD & Blu-ray

So what, Fox are just dumping all the crap discs in a re-release before they announce a remastered version? Not very nice of them. Will be interesting to see if the DNR excusers can actually see a difference once a proper edition rolls around.

I have the original release, and it's one of the few that hit me straight away as being terrible.

I'd happily buy a new version to get rid of the original one.

I think you've cherry picked a part of my post and taken it out of context. I didn't mean 'so what' as in it doesn't matter. I hindsight I didn't even need to put the 'what', it was just for emphasis.

Meh. Patton's not the worst case of DNR I've ever seen. Glad it's getting a redo and all, but there's another Fox war film which needs the attention even more than Patton...

but there's another Fox war film which needs the attention even more than Patton...

Aye, you're not wrong.

"wound my heart with a monotonous languor"

The radio announcer should've said.

"wound my eyes with a crap picture"

I think you've cherry picked a part of my post and taken it out of context. I didn't mean 'so what' as in it doesn't matter. I hindsight I didn't even need to put the 'what', it was just for emphasis.
I think you should put down exactly what you mean in that case.

Never seen Patton, but it sounds interesting, and I like 65-70mm films.

You'll love it. Lovely and waxy and clean. No grain in sight.

Not that version. They ruined it. I don't like grain, but I also don't like missing skin textures.

Not that version. They ruined it.

Hold on a tic', I thought you were a fan of grainless films?

We agree on something! Detail removal by over zealous DNR numpty's.

Last edited:
Hold on a tic', I thought you were a fan of grainless films?

We agree on something! Detail removal by over zealous DNR numpty's.

If you go back to my first posts, I invented a way to remove grain without removing detail, that's why I hate grain removal done wrong.

I think you should put down exactly what you mean in that case.
I did, my previous post was just a nice way of saying you misinterpreted something that was pretty obvious...

I'm glad they're going to do Patton again, hopefully right this time.

But with all the stories of catalogue titles not selling well, I'm quite surprised.

Is there a big market for this title? What do you think?

I know it won best picture, actor, director in 1971, but it doesn't get mentioned alongside other greats from the 70's like The Godfather films, Chinatown, The French Connection, All The President's Men, The Conversation, Taxi Driver, I could go on and on.

I don't think there's a big market for Patton over here. That's kinda borne out by the fact that the Blu-ray hasn't actually been released in the UK yet.

I meant for the new disc in general. As it's obvious we've been importing this one.

I get the impression some of the US releases are about establishing a decent print of a significant movie. Many of the releases probably don't make immediate balance-sheet sense but from an historical point of view it's good to see a company ensure that a decent print is available.

Thanks, bosque. That make sense.

I get the impression some of the US releases are about establishing a decent print of a significant movie. Many of the releases probably don't make immediate balance-sheet sense but from an historical point of view it's good to see a company ensure that a decent print is available.
That's certainly true for stuff like Taxi Driver and The Godfather. Both had negatives in varying states of disrepair, and the resultant digital restorations were filmed out to create brand new archival elements.

I don't think Patton falls into that category, not least because we can see from the existing Blu-ray that the film is in excellent shape. But it's great that Fox are committed to erasing this blot on their copy book.

That's certainly true for stuff like Taxi Driver and The Godfather. Both had negatives in varying states of disrepair, and the resultant digital restorations were filmed out to create brand new archival elements.

I don't think Patton falls into that category, not least because we can see from the existing Blu-ray that the film is in excellent shape. But it's great that Fox are committed to erasing this blot on their copy book.

It'd be greater if they exchanged the existing discs for the new non-dnr effort as universal did with gladiator.

Absolutely. I always thought that Universal would never do that in a million years because they didn't consider the Gladiator disc to be 'faulty' (they still don't). Fox are in the same situation...

I did, my previous post was just a nice way of saying you misinterpreted something that was pretty obvious...
Ok I've read all your posts and I think I get what you're saying. I wouldn't have included the words 'so' and 'what', the cause of all the confusion.:)

The 40th anniversary edition was out in May but I can't find any reviews - is this the exact same disc just with fancy digibook packaging? Edit: just saw this from above post
"We've spoken with the good folks at 20th Century Fox and have learned that they ARE in fact working on a new HD master of Patton. It appears that it will NOT be included on the 5/10 Blu-ray re-issue of the title, however the studio tells me they ARE working to make it available on Blu-ray to all of you sometime before the end of the year. We'll post all the official details as soon as the studio provides them. Just know that a new remastered Blu-ray IS coming later this year and we'll let you know more when release plans are set."
So it is the same then:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom