Pattern unlock on Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by cbmvic20, Aug 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. cbmvic20

cbmvic20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Newbie here looking at getting my first Android phone and wonering whether or not to use the pattern unlock thing or stick with a sim pin code.

How many times will Android let you try a pattern unlock code before it locks the phone completely? If this happens, is this the only way to get the phone working again to do a factory reset which also wipes all data? Does any of this depend on what version of Android is running?

If the phone is locked (either through the pattern or having entered the wrong code too many times), can you still connect the phone via USB and read data? (either on the SD card or from the phone memory)

:lease:

2. redparrot

redparrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The pattern lock on my Samsung locks you out for 30 seconds after 5 failed attempts. If you keep drawing the wrong pattern you will have to unlock it using your Google account password. So far as I know, no data is wiped.

3. kBm

kBm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Play it safe and keep all your data on a extsdcard, you can then take it out if it gets 'locked'.

If you sync all your data through Google - contacts, email, docs etc factory resets aren't that bad these days. You apps are all waiting for you on the Play store.

How forgetful are you?! Here one day, gone the next...:smashin:

4. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    If you are concerned about losing data on your phone you need to seriously consider how you are storing that data. There should be NOTHING stored on your phone that is not easily recovered.
    Make sure you use Android sync and cloud storage (dropbox, Gdrive, Skydrive, Box) fully so everything is automatically backed up (including but not limited to contacts, photos, game saves, documents, passwords).
    Setting a PIN (DON'T use your bank PIN) or a pattern lock is essential. I would also advise getting an app that will locate and/or remotely wipe your phone, I use Cerberus.

Final thought - if you lose your phone, storing data on external sdcard or knowing your PIN/pattern will not help you access your data.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. cbmvic20

cbmvic20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the replies, the phone I was looking at has no SD card so it will be all stored internally. Will stick with a SIM PIN and also unlock pattern with everything backed up to Google.

6. redparrot

redparrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I use G Cloud, it backs up my contacts, SMS's, photos, etc to the cloud when I'm on wi-fi. 1 GB is free and you can earn extra storage.

7. cbmvic20

cbmvic20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks but Google will be fine as mainly want to back up address book and messages and photos.