1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PATRIOT DVD WORKS FINE!!!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Mark, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Mark

Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just received The Patriot DVD and tested it on various multi-region dvd players. Plays fine on every one.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As in Mel Gibson? How did you get it so soon?

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

3. Mark

Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes as in Mel Gibson. Also received Toy Story/Toy Story 2 this afternoon.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What do you know (or who) that I don't?

------------------

5. Thavat

Thavat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you please give more details?
    Which players you test so far?
    I am very interesting in this RCE topic.
    If The Patriot can play fine what does RCE program mean?
    Or may be they can't put RCE in this dvd on time.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, can we have a list of players and if they are modifed players can you name the modifer.

Thanks.

7. geo1973

geo1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how the @%$* can you play the patriot when it is not even out yet.

8. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just gor the Patriot today.

Works fine on my Sony s7000 Hong Kong model that was never chipped but only does R1and R3. Works fine on my brothers US S7000 that is only R1 (obviously).

Does NOT work on my parents chipped Toshiba SD2109 Auto region switcher. They got their player from Leading Edge Concepts. Not sure if this is a factor or not.

Are they screwed? should they get a manual mod from somewhere like Techtronics?

Thanks.

Dave.

9. Conrad

Conrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave, Can you confirm that you get the RCE message on screen on your parents player, this will obviously confirm that RCE really is on the disk. BTW you don't know anyone with a Techtronics E-Mod Pioneer 626d you can try it on do you???

------------------
    Were you always this stupid or did you take lessons?

I TOOK LESSONS!

10. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes it was the message that I have seen in another posting something about " This disc was i****ended for use in non-modified Region 1 Players...there is nothing wrong with this disc."

Curiously it is a region map with all the regions listed.

It's got to be RCE because my pare****s player has always played everything it would not just stop now but according to Reiner in another posting he said no disc has RCE. I believe it does, INCLUDING the Patriot.

Unfortunatly I have no accessto a Pioneer for you.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 14-10-2000).]

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't get manual region mods for Toshiba players, this is due to how these players work.

12. BOBBIE44

BOBBIE44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the patriot on my pioneer dv-717 which has a auto/manunal mod.
    what i find is that if you can change the region to 1 then your ok but if it has a auto-select or region 0 player then as far as i know it won`t work.

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    There has already been a region coding system around for some while (more than a year or two I guess) which did the same as RCE, the DVD supposingly won't play on 'Region 0' players, hence the manual selection was introduced then.
    "Ransom" was IMHO one of those early titles carrying this protection.

Should say luckyly (sp?) I never encountered any problems on my auto-region-free Yamaha DVD-S700 until today unless it's a PAL DVD, but that's another story (stupid me ...).

14. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Tried a Sony 725 Auto region changer. The disc worked fine.

I will try my friends Tosh 100E and see if it works, as the Toshiba SD2109 Auto switcher did NOT work.

15. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys!!!

People here are telling us that they have succesfully played RCE titles on chipped DVD players. NONE of them have told us how they possibly get hold of un-released disks.

They may have coy ststems of getting pre-release disks, or they may come from Timbuktu, or whatever. but I have cancelled my orders of Patriot etc. until I hear some evidence from someone who can explain how they have theoretically unobtainable discs.

16. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Whenever I order a disc I always get it two weeks before release date. YES they are official.

After all how do you explain when you go to a shop on the day of release of a film you want that the film is already oln the shelf? It's because the films have been delivered for the release date. In retail it is illegal to see films prior to release date. These internet companies and mail order get the films ready for release date but instead of hanging onto them they send them out as they get them.

Get it?

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    Were i currently work, we get our new releases on the FRIDAY B4 release date or with mult-media on the Thursday b4 they are released on the Friday. The reason being so that they can be priced and put on display B4 the store opens on the Monday.

Now im not sure about US publishers, but those in the UK, espescially the BIG players like DISNEY and FOX come down very, very heavy on those stores, no matter how big or small they are, if caught selling early. They have fined some very BIG chains and then also REFUSE early delivery for a period of time.

Now I imagine this is also the case with US suppliers and is THE reason that most of them are getting so ****ED off with the exporting of R1 titles and so the reason for having some kind of protection put in.

If you can get the films early and legaly then fair enough. I know that some are sent to people on publishers mail ordering lists and some given as promo, but again we are nearing a point wereby I can see the minority spoiling it for everyone else.

If the reason that all this trouble is happening is early shipping the STOP IT !

Also out of curiosity, do u PAY more for getting the disc early ? and who do you use ?

If you do pay more then in my opinion I think you are very, very, very sad [​IMG] WHY BOTHER ?

18. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Dave,

Have you had a chance to try the disk on the newer Toshiba 100E multi region?

If so - what happened?

19. Dodgey

Dodgey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveH - Thank you for explaining that. That's all I needed.

20. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RCE isnt on this disk- fullstop. Many disks carry the message stated above- especially after the Matrix **** up.
    www.thedigitalbits.com and this very site (both who SHOULD know!) clearly state that RCE is only in a testing phase and Warner have yet to confirm if even they will use it.

Check out the other threads on this topic.

This RCE 'problem' is being blown out of all proportion (one of the problems of the net)- misinformation has unfortunately taken the upper hand, with even some retailers falling for it.

21. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have always paid a standard price for disks yes I pay more than say Play by about £3 sometimes.

Calling me sad is a bit pathetic really all I do is order the disc and receive it.

The minority spoiling it for everyone else by getting the discs early? I don't think so. We are ALL guilty of importing region 1 titles that is why measures are taken to stop these films being played in our region not because of early shipping. Jealousy perhaps?

Oh and according to dvddebate The Patriot does have RCE.

Dave.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 18-10-2000).]

22. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    MATTS,

I will test it at the weekend. I am more convinced that this disc did not work on the 2109 because it was code free. The 100 was bought from the same establishment I'll let you know of the results. For the record these players played the Matrix fine.

Dave.

23. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This one is going to run and run!- personally I would tend to believe people who actually work within the industry and have access we do not (Eg The Digital Bits and HCC).

But then again I suppose it isnt completely impossible that RCE has been sneaked out.

But from a common sense point of view- and bearing in mind that many players (such as the Pioneers) are inherently multi-region and just need to have that 'activated', plus Warner Bros' bad press from the Matrix release- it would not be a good move on Warners part to risk pushing out RCE if it is indeed (and this is the only thing anyone HAS got out of Warner) still in a testing phase- even Techtronics are stating (I have an email that I posted) that they havent seen a sniff of an RCE disk- which again suggests that RCE hasnt got out of Warners yet.

24. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave- I checked out the DVDDebate site- here is a quote that backs up both mine, The Digital Bits and HCC's idea that RCE is no more than the same system used by Disney- and is not a new form of Regional Encoding protection- this RCE 'problem'has been blown out of all proportion by a few people panicing!:

Patriot and Perfect Storm RCE Tests
    Posted on Thursday, October 12 @ 10:02:03 BST
    OK here's what we have. The Patriot and The Perfect Storm have been tested on several machines that allow manual setting of R1. All machines played the discs fine. The machines that had the Auto switching Mods from Techtronics also automatically played the Discs correctly...

The Players were: Sony DVP-7000 US Model with Region Control, Sony 725 UK with Multimod, Toshiba DVD Rom with PowerDVD and DVD Genie 3.8, Panasonic A160 with Auto Mod, Pioneer 606 (US Model) with Firmware Mod.

Setting the Pioneer 606 to Firmware R0 stopped both discs from working. With this in mind it appears that RCE (if it is on these discs) is no more than that employed in the early days by MGM and Disney.

25. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Now I'm fascinated.
    I posted a few days ago, wrong forum, that a Disney rep had told a customer of ours that in the near future, it would not be possible to play a R1 disc, if the player wasn't R1 in origin.
    I have no other detail than that. I don't know how informed the rep was, how accurate the customer was and so on. A phone call came through asking did anyone know about it, and now I assume it must have been to do with this RCE.
    The potential for problems here is growing very fast.
    If this forum is not 100% about it, then there are bound be prolems elsewhere.
    Play 247 posted a disclaimer on their site about the Patriot disc, how reliable that is remains to be seen. To be honest, this thread is the first I have heard about it.
    Why do these Hollywood fools complicate life even more?
    I'm ordering The Patriot myself and will try it on my Yamaha S795 on both auto and manual region selection. I don't expect a problem, but we'll see.

The question is, how on Earth can a disc discriminate between players, if the flags encoded within the electronics (from whichever player) provide R1 identification?

------------------

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 18-10-2000).]

26. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The Patriot is the first film I have EVER had (over 120 DVDs here guys!) that does not work on my 4 year old Philips player purchased from Hong Kong.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give Techtronic a call.

27. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    For MATTS,

The 100E does not like the Patriot. Apparently all Toshiba players are affected. There should be an upgrade in the near future chip wise.

Dave.

28. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    General,

I believe the new system works by not only checking what region the player is currently is set to, but also by making sure that the player is not capable of playing other regions.

This could be a big problem for all (even people with real R1 players)- as to save money on localisation of players between countries many manufacturers make their players inherently multi-region- but only activate the region which is applicable to the territory the player is going to be sold in- thus the easy hacks for some players.

The potential problem being legitimate R1 (and presumably R2 users- if RCE makes it onto R2 releases) users not even being able to play certain disks.

This is probably why this 'new' technology is stiil being tested by Warners- as it would be extremely foolhardy to risk a repeat of The Matrix problems!

29. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44

30. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Question is, how many of you have ordered it? I have.

------------------