Pathos Cinema-X

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Boleros, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Boleros

Boleros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever listened to this unit, and especially if anyone has ever compared this unit in stereo mode (450w/ch) to the Logos or TT.

I appreciate any info; I haven't been able to find any info other than that posted on the Pathos website.

Thanks,
    B

2. Boleros

Boleros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as it turns out I'll be responding to my own question.

I was able to get my hands on one for a few weeks with special regards to my local dealer. Visually beautiful work of art, which sets a new standard for external design of tube components - makes every other tube component on the market look ugly (there, I said it). Sonically akin to a 5 channel version of the Pathos classic one (version 2), but with much greater bass; Great warmth on vocals, but its warmth comes with a (if not unavoidable) sacrifice to detail on the high end, which was particularly noticeable on orchestral pieces (violins sound muted and somewhat strained). In 5 channel theatre-mode, it reproduces life-like ambience and sound effects very effectively.

Bottom line
    Pros - Extraordinary for movies, Excellent for vocals & jazz
    Cons - Price ($9000 USD), Fair for classical music

P.S. Great choice for those who want excellent reproduction of most music and movies in the same unit; Caution, Conrad Johnson is releasing its own multi-channel series this year: MET1 (preamp), MET150 (amp), and universal player. Although each of these components is slated to cost ~$8000-8500 USD, my experience is that Conrad Johnson is excellent for classical music and any other music for that matter...but they could use a few lessons on Italian fashion design from Pathos.

B