1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pathetic CD info handling

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by markav, Jul 29, 2005.

1. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for starting another thread, but I really would like to flag this up clearly.

Auto-recognotion of classical music CD's is rubbish!

Is there a hotline to MS that is listened to?

Examples:

I have a 6-CD set of Beethoven symphonies from a well-known and well-regarded recording. They are all seen as the same ID, so when you load them, each CD overwrites the other - you never see more than 1 CD in the library.

I have a well-regarded Mahler 3-CD recording. The album, artist and tracks are all filled with lots of square boxes instead of text.

Many other failures.

I have found that if I load a CD with Media PLayer, and edit track names, and THEN start MCE, it picks up my changes.

But if I subsequntly run Media Player to edit track names (which MCE can't do), these are not picked up by MCE. Have to delete the album and do the whole thing again.

I must say, I am hugely unimpressed with the whole deal. Once again, Microsoft snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. This really is a shame :-(

2. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    To be honest, online CD lookup databases like CDDB, freedb and the like usually rely on user input for their contents. There are probably less people updating classical CDs than there are more modern music so I would expect more mistakes and poorer quality information. So it's not really Microsoft's fault this time.

Edits in WMP ARE reflected in MCE as they both use the same database file.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,483
    CD Database's are kept upto date via public input, which has already been pointed out. You can't really blame M$ for this one.

4. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough. I have labouriously typed in all the track titles, performers (lengthy for classical!) etc. for my handful. Hope somebody benefits.

I realised that the Mahler CD that was showing all square boxed for characters was info supplied from Japan :-/

Still can't find a way to set/edit album art.

The 'Advanced Tag Editor' will let me set track art, and if I set the same scanned CD cover for every track, it is displayed whilst tracks are playing, but the top level album cover doesn't seem editable.

The relationship between Media Player and MCE seems convoluted. I can load CD's in MP and edit to my hearts content, with MCE not runing. MP itself hints that meta data is stored in to ways/places.

It also seems that when MCE starts, it takes a snapshot of MP meta data. i.e. if I edit track names, for example, in MP, and restart MCE, thatos changes are not picked up.

Anyone looked into this already?

5. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    MCE alway seems to just update itself for me. Make sure you have your music folders monitored in the setting within WMP: Tools - Options - Library - Monitor Folders...

My advice is to get to grips with a program like Tag&Rename for all your media file editing. It's much more powerful and easy to use after you understand how it works. For one thing it can link into Amazon for Track/Artist/Album Art/Genre details so no need to type them all out yourself if WMP can't find it or gets it wrong. I think the new verison has a dedicated Amazon Classical music search. You can also embed the folder art into every track with it, rename the files to reflect the tags easily, set up templates, all sorts. Well worth a look.

6. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a go with Tag&Rename... interesting!

Have managed to get T&R saying one thing, Media Player saying another and MCE saying yet another, about the same album!

It does rename filesystem folders/files so they match tags, which is nice. But Media Player seems to do everything, albeit less conveniently, so I won't be registering it :-/

Spent a lot of today combining my multi-CD albums so that each lives in one folder. Why have 5 icons for discs 1-5 when they can all sit in one, and play from start to finish?

This fairly obvious task was absolute agony to perform. Daft - why not a button somewhere to combine/concatinate discs?

Can't help thinking this it (MCE) is going to be a great product one day, but that day is somewhere in the future.

7. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just to add a related moan.

WMP and MCE only appear to retrieve info about R1 DVDs, insert a R2 DVD and it always says unknown DVD.

Regarding a hotline to MS that is listened to, you could try posting on Microsoft's newsgroups Here or MS support newsgroups here there are often MS employees there who respond.

8. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    This almost certainly means you have duplicate items somewhere, or you have the same album but with differing album artist tags, so MCE thinks it's two different albums.

There's a lot WMP/MCE can't do when it comes to tagging, such as attaching album art to tracks, masstagging or renaming, using filters, using filename masks, search&replace, choosing which database to lookup info from. WMP is just easy but as such it's less powerful and takes longer to do things.

I would have thought most people would have preferred having them as seperate albums so they have the option to play a particular disc rather than going into the one folder, figuring out which track is the start of the disc they want to play and then starting play from there. Why not just have them seperate so you have the flexibility? If you want to play them all just highlight them all and hit play.

In T&R this task would have been 2 mouse clicks. You could have selected all the albums in one go, entered in the collective album name at the top and pressed go and that would have been it, all tracks retagged under the new collective name. Then there's the option to renumber all the track numbers automatically. For a 3rd mouse click you could have hit rename and renamed all the tracks to reflect the change as well ;)

It's a great product now, although not perfect. A lot of problems you have described though have been down to you getting to grips with how things work, like tagging, and how MCE links in with WMP. This isn't really a fault of MCE and once you get to grips with it all and sort out your niggling problems you'll see how good it is. MY MCE system has been stable for months and I haven't got any problems with it, there are just a couple of functionality changes I'd like to see and for the speed to increase with a large music database, but other than that, I think it's one of the best pieces of software MS has ever created.

9. shaithis

shaithis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Agree with the OP. The CD handling is APPAULING.

It does stuff 'behind the scenes' just like most MS software, these things seem hard (impossible?) to control.

I was trying to rip the 3 CD T-Rex collection......saw that it was over-writing so ripped disk 3 (no matter what CD you rip you get the album name and tracklisting for CD1...) and edited the album name and all the track listings to the correct disc 3 names......sweet, ok on to disc 2...rip it and it completely replaces all of the disc 3 entry with disc 2 - all my edits (and editing is another badly-written area of MCE) are gone :(

I would actually be embarresed to release such appaulingly designed software to the public.

10. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    yes, just to reiterate, CD info handling is nothing to do with MS really. But you're right. editing the bad information is crap in MCE, bettter in WMP and much much better in other applications like Tag&Rename or The Godfather. See above. T&R uses Amazon for info which tends to be accurate.

11. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The WMP Advanced Tag Editor can actually do some of that, like attaching art to tracks and mass tagging.

D'oh! I really, really wish I had known that.

I take your point entirely about getting to grips with it. (and the same with T&R). I think that because a lot really is very intuitive, when something isn't it's easy to just assume it can't be done.

Top of my wishlist is support for DVB radio channels.