1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Path to upgrade my turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Hungseto, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Hungseto

Hungseto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I have recently upgraded by speakers from a pair of Whafedale Diamond 8.1 to a pair of Spendor S3. The overall sound quality improved so much when playing CDs that I am very happy with it.

But I noticed that the sound reproduction from my Project Debut phono has became somewhat 'dull' , I feel that it has decreased in dynamic and details after the upgrade of speakers when compared to the CD replay in my system whereas before the upgrade both CD and LPs' perforamce were of similar quality if not the LP were sometimes better.

I suppose I might need an upgrade in the Turntable department to cure this problem. Anyone here have any suggestion ? For say less than 400 quid?

Here is my set up:

CD - Arcam CD72
    Turntable - Project Debut Phono
    Pre-amp - Cambridger C75
    Power-amp - Cambridge A75 (100W/2)
    Loudspeakers - Spendor S3

Music enjoyed:

Mainly classical and Jazz + Pink Floyd

2. cwilson

cwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    the only reasonable route I can think of is to look for secondhand Rega P25, and then something like a denon dl 110 or dl 103 at a later date

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hung

3 things will hinder what your hearing from a TT :

TT/Arm
    Cart
    Phono stage

With that in mind I would put £300 towards a TT/Arm/Cart – for that price your in RPM4 ( a bargain TT IMHO) Rega P3 territory.

Phono stage £100 will buy you a Project Phono SE box, Grahame Slee 2 phono amp or the new bargain on the block phono stage : £60 Cambridge Audio 640 stage – have read lots of positive vibes about this stages in the press (HFW) and on-line.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=29&Title=Azur 640P Phono pre-amplifier

4. Hungseto

Hungseto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May be that's a silly question but I really would like to know which component in a T/T that will affect the sound quality most?

Personally, I would guess most imporant is the Cart. then the Phono stage then the table itself.

Will upgrading my cart on my Project debut phono improve the quality a lot? or it is not worth the upgrade?

5. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hung, a top notch cart on the end of an arm that cant track properly is like a set of slicks in the snow.

I found a real upgrade in sonic terms getting the phono stage up to scratch then cart changes. £400 is a decent enough budget to upgrade from what you have but I would be looking to spend £100 of that on a stage, either that or your pissing in the wind. £300 buy a lot of TT/Arm/Cart.

6. Hungseto

Hungseto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Thank you for your Sound advise CJROSS. It would be nice if I can by pass the internal phono stage on my project, have you heard of anyone doing it? or shall I be the first?

7. Mr Pumpkinhead

Mr Pumpkinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Do you have the Debut/Phono SB?
    Does the Cambridge have a phono stage built in?

If you spend £400 on upgrading the turntable you’ll then probably find CD playback disappointing ;)

I’ve recently got a Project Expression (£190) and the performance for the price is amazing compared to CD. (Arcam CD33)

8. Hungseto

Hungseto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not know the precise model name of my Project T/T, it has built in phono, i suppose it is the Phono SB.

Yes my Cambridge C75 pre-amp does have a phono stage (both MM and MC) built in but it has never been used since my family had it which was the early 90s.