Paternal Leave advise

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Hello guys, I was wondering if "paternal leave" was at employers discretion or I was "permitted" it. I work for local council and have worked for them just over a year.I have had another addition to the family and requested the above.
I took my annual leave to cover this period but the baby came a little late.We are finding it hard as we already have a small un just gone 1 !

My line manager and her manager were both aware at the time but not of the actual date or arrival.
My manager is away till JAN 4 and the temp manager ( whom I know) said she would see her manager ( yes I now) and talk to me on Monday.
I am not sure back till Tuesday and could do with the time off really. Anyone in HR help me out here?

My quesions:

Is paternal leave paid or not?

Am i allowed 2 weeks off?

Am i being fair?

NGD Boy

also the european working directive....

unique

http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/employment-legislation/employment-guidance/page18480.html

you can have up to 13 weeks paternity leave, however by statutory law you would only be paid for up to 2 weeks at £100 (approx) per week, so you don't get full pay unless your contract says so

paternity leave should normally start upon the birth of a child unless agreed otherwise

you also have the right to parental leave, which is normally unpaid, this is to cover cases where your child may be sick and you need to take time off work etc

under the circumstances of the baby being born later than expected your certainly not being unfair, however it would be a little unfair if they weren't to grant you the leave you require, if you were forced to have to take the time off, i doubt your employer would do much about it, especially not a council

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6w/index/life/employment/parental_rights_at_work.htm

Londondecca

In addition to the statutory provisions, you are also covered by the NJC (Green Book) which covers most Council staff but also applies to Red Book staff assuming your Council has not implemented Single Status

Ayub

Distinguished Member
i love you guys :) :smashin: :thumbsup:

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
Well done on your new addition - we have just had our second child (now 4 days old). I get 2 weeks paternity leave, at full pay. You are entitled to those 2 weeks so ensure you take them....best of luck :smashin:

Ayub

Distinguished Member
THANK YOU VERY MUCH GUYS.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom