patch

clarko1

Standard Member
Hi all
I am about to build a home network and add some hardware.

i could really do with some advice on connection.

My first problem is the bt master socket is one side of the room and the media centre is in the other corner. the router is with the socket.

In another thread i explained i had put an extension in place as i envisaged i would need phone connection at the media point for sky. However this is an off the shelf diy phone extension. when i connected it up i got phone connection but the router would not connect.

Iam now proposing from someone elses reply to put a cat5e round an a network patch. is this doable for me as novice.

secondly i will be connecting up(hopefully) a ps3, readynas duo, maybe apple tv (i know it doesnt like nas without a hack) and maybe intergrating a couple of cameras wirelessly for cctv.

the suggested connection is gigabit through a switch? so is it as simple as buying a switch and a few ethernet cables and plugging them upto the router? or is there a load of protocols to get over.

t72bogie

it is as simple as

buy a gig switch - 8 ports should suffice - about £40

run a Cat5 patch lead from the router to the switch (put it in trunking/hide it etc)

plug everything into the switch

thats it :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom