patch cable drop speed

RobTi

Well-known Member
hi please tell me if this is wrong. i have virgin hub with a 1m patch cable to an unmanaged switch with one port of this switch connected to another unmanaged switch.
The cable connecting these is via a cat 6 with modular face plates and a 1m cat 5 patch cables at each end and all seemed good. so decided to swap out the cheap patch cables and used some new cat 6 patch cables and my speed dropped on the connected devices from over 100 to around 7 swapped them back to the old ones and speed rises again.
Could i have got something wrong ?
Thanks

cables
 

RobTi

Well-known Member
If its a direct swap then I am guessing your new patch cable is duff
Thanks that’s what I thought but I got 5 of them and they all test with a network cable tester and the pins match up. I only posted in case my wiring was out
 

oneman

Well-known Member
Thanks that’s what I thought but I got 5 of them and they all test with a network cable tester and the pins match up. I only posted in case my wiring was out
Your tester is only doing a continuity test and that you have some data flowing indicates the correct pins are connected. However data rate is dependant on a lot more then just correct pins connecting together.

To be honest I've not had too many problems with with pre-manufactured, made in a factory by machines. Maybe a bad batch. It is possible to try the patch lead in place of another working connection ?
 

RobTi

Well-known Member
Afraid the only connection I could use is just to a couple of hubs, I have packed them up for return now I tried 5 I. 2 different ports and the same low speed put the old cables back in and full speed so not worth bothering about, back to the rainforest
 

edz

Active Member
one thing you may want to try - and its a long shot much less likely than a bad batch of cables is - try your existing patch cable on the cable tester.

Ive seen that happen once (out of many, mant network jobs) it baffled me at the time as I had tested the new cable on a fluke tester and it checked out, turned out it was someone had got the patch socket and the patch cable wrong when wiring and miswired both. Since they were consistently miswired it worked but when a properly wired cable was put in it failed (well - it dropped to 100mb from 1gb)

As I said its one of those mega unlikely things but sharing anyway :)
 

RobTi

Well-known Member
one thing you may want to try - and its a long shot much less likely than a bad batch of cables is - try your existing patch cable on the cable tester.

Ive seen that happen once (out of many, mant network jobs) it baffled me at the time as I had tested the new cable on a fluke tester and it checked out, turned out it was someone had got the patch socket and the patch cable wrong when wiring and miswired both. Since they were consistently miswired it worked but when a properly wired cable was put in it failed (well - it dropped to 100mb from 1gb)

As I said its one of those mega unlikely things but sharing anyway :)
Tested and all 5 cables the pins were fine
 

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom