Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pat on the back

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by philipb, Jan 15, 2004.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Just a quick plug for Creative Audio in Shrewsbury.

Ordered my 3803 at 4.00 pm Tuesday, it arrived noon Wednesday. 36 hours later I'm about half way through setting it up:)

Creative even include a very helpful start up guide. Not the first time I've used them - always helpful, great service and keen prices.

BTW - fabulous machine

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Is the setup very complicated or are you just slow? :D

3. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    philipb

Just read on the other thread that you replaced a 1803 with the 3803 which is what i'm thinking about doing.

Is there a big difference?
    Do you think it is the extra power or the better processing that makes the difference?

Plus any other things you've noticed about the 3803?

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JIT - lab tests report that the 3803 only delivers an extra 10 watts per channel with all channels driven than the 1803.

After having heard the 3803, I can say that it is a big improvement over the 1803, which I also own. Both the processing and 'ease' to the poweramps was significantly improved, but if you've got particularly tricky speakers to drive, the 3803's going to struggle.

5. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have Tannoy R3's which are 6 Ohm and 89dB Sensitivity. On my 1803 i have all speakers small with bass to the sub and the crossover set at 80Hz.

Just wondering if the 3803 would be a big jump or perhaps even a 2803 or 3802?

I know the sub crossover can be set at 40Hz on the 3803 which would be good for music but would i then have to go into setup and change it back to 80Hz for movies?

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you'd have to alter the crossover frequency if you wanted different settings for music & movies.

You might find that 40hz is too low a crossover frequency for music anyway. Indeed I'd stick with 80hz with all sources playing.

I wouldn't recommend the 2803, it's not really enough of an improvement to justify the hassle of changing receivers. It has an improved processor, but uses the same DACS and ADCs (albeit in 'Dual Differential' mode) and has a similar poweramp performance.

7. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Both. The 3803 has a lot of adjustments to be made to get the best out of it. Plus Denon manuals are not user friendly. You can get the basics up and running fairly quickly, but there are masses of things to be set. Not forgetting the learning remote - job for the weekend.

As an example, the Creative guide suggested connecting the analogue audio from the DVD player (2900 in my case) to the CD on the 3803 for playing music CDs. The sound would be better it claimed than using the digital connection. And they're right - it is.

The improvement over the 1803 is huge. I've always been a bit sceptical about spending a lot of money on the audio side of home cinema - being a firm believer in getting the PQ right first - and music is not a big deal for me. Hence the choice of the 1803 as a budget unit. If I hadn't really needed the audio delay I probably wouldn't have changed. But am I glad I did, and the 3803 is rejuvenating my music collection.

But for me where it really matters - the combination of the 2900 and the 3803 for DVD. Tried the opening battle sequence in Gladiator (superbit with DTS) - fantastic.

8. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Are there any receivers which allow different crossovers to be set up for different sources? i.e. 80Hz for DD5.1/DTS and 40Hz stereo.

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Try TMREQ for a complicated set-up procedure.

10. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    philipb

Now that you've had more time to play with your 3803 do you still think this is a big move on from the 1803?

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Oh yes. Really happy I upgraded - well worth the extra.