1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password protected Win 2000 ...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lynx, Jun 26, 2003.

1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Anyone know an easy way to bypass the password on Win 2000. There is nothing untoward here, my wife was given an old PC from another branch of her orginisation.It is hers to use to continue work in progress that someone else started.Problem being, that person is no longer with the orginisation (and they are uncontactable) and no one else has any idea as to what the password may be. As some files require access to retrieve word documents (work in progress) i would like an easy way to get them. It's an old Celeron 566 with 128mb sdram, and a 15gig hd, so i would guess it's around 3 years old. Last night i installed XP Pro on it (keeping the FAT32 system), so when it boots it now gives an option of dual booting either system, the problem being that 2000 requires a password. Any suggestions welcome.

2. geordie_blerk

geordie_blerk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are just wanting to retrieve files from the Win2000 installation then you should be able to boot into XP and then just browse for the files, assuming the Win2000 partition is using Fat32. If it's using NTFS with user permissions on it then that's a bit more difficult.

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Report from BIOS indicates FAT32 on the WIN 2000 installation, thats why i kept XP FAT32 as well.

4. vindaloo

vindaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a small bit of software that will do it mate. it can make a boot disc for you which when booting will find the password and fill it out for you. i can email it to you its only a few mb's.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Is it Cain & Able ?

6. vindaloo

vindaloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the NFO mate, dont think its ever been called cain and able. but the windowskey will do what you need mate.

7. boogie man

boogie man
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    to gain access, especially it is the FAT32 file system. If so, boot with a 98 boot disk and delete the SAM file in the Windows\config folder. This is just a lost password issue.

or do a seach on sam file for win 2000

boogie man