• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Password and SSH?

BoSelEcta75

Standard Member
Hi All,

Thank you all for the information and help which is on here, i have been navigating around various posts/stickies and using the information have successfully jailbroken my new 3gs and installed various apps and themes.

Cydia
SBSettings
Winterboard - Currently Running Suave or Bluebird
Insomnia

I wanted to query the security of my phone and after reading an atricle on the main iphone board about SSH worms. I have downloaded the Terminal App and changed my password in there. Is this all i need to do to ensure my phone is secure?

Again, thanks for your help.

Bo

spookster

Established Member
I've got Terminal installed (I think it came as part of another app I installed, maybe Mobile Theatre..)

I haven't used it. I don't SSH I use iphonebrowser - so I don't need to worry about SSH p/w's right?

UEF

Prominent Member
I would recommend that you do have SSH (as you can use it to transfer files if your iPhone ever breaks) and change the password. Changing the password will leave you safe, not having SSH will also leave you safe.

fayraz

Established Member
I would recommend that you do have SSH (as you can use it to transfer files if your iPhone ever breaks) and change the password. Changing the password will leave you safe, not having SSH will also leave you safe.

I have got Terminal installed on mine and changed the passwords on there from the default because of that virus they were saying was going about.

Is Terminal the same thing as SSH?

Also since I have changed my passwords from the default when I update my firmware and jailbreak again do I need to change the passwords again?

UEF

Prominent Member
Terminal is what you use to change the passwords of the accounts on the system, OpenSSH is the protocol through which those accounts can be compromised. Without OpenSSH you're just changing a password that can't really be connected to anyway, but won't do any harm.

When you do a restore or update it overwrites the passwords again yes.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Is Terminal the same thing as SSH?
Keeping it simple, SSH is a protocol, much like http is for the internet and ftp is for transferring files. Terminal is the prog that allows you to access the iPhone via the SSH protocol :)

UEF

Prominent Member
Keeping it simple, SSH is a protocol, much like http is for the internet and ftp is for transferring files. Terminal is the prog that allows you to access the iPhone via the SSH protocol :)

Not strictly true - the accounts exist on the iPhone whether you use OpenSSH or not. OpenSSH does provide though the easy means to contact those user accounts over wifi, hence no cables required and hence the security vulnerability.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
So what's not strictly true about what I said? I didn't mention accounts at all, just that SSH is the protocol that handles the connection :)

RobM

Distinguished Member
Not strictly true - the accounts exist on the iPhone whether you use OpenSSH or not. OpenSSH does provide though the easy means to contact those user accounts over wifi, hence no cables required and hence the security vulnerability.

It is strictly true. 100%.

At risk of repeating it, SSH is a protocol... OpenSSH, Terminal etc are software applications that use that protocol.

Just like http is http regardless of whether it's Firefox or Chrome using it... SSH is SSH regardless of what is using it.

The default password is there even if you have not unlocked the ability to access it. It's an SSH password.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom