Passivly cooled MB and CPU for under £200?

PerfectBlue97

I'm looking to build a quiet HTPC, but I'm on a budget.

Can anybody recommend (If such a thing exists), a motherboard and CPU (Separate units, or combined on a single board) that runs on a heat sink without a fan, for under £200. Which is powerful enough to run Windows 10.

My only real requirements are that it be able to play Blu-Ray without stuttering using Kodi, and that it has an HDMI output.

I have no plans to use it for 4K or gaming, but it absolutely needs to be able to run Windows 10 at an "acceptable" rate as I also plan to use it as a second home computer to do basic home computer stuff.

I already have a couple of media streamers, and a Pi, so I'm specifically looking for this to be a full PC.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Which heatsink are you using (if you have any LGA1155 etc. compatible) or how much space do you have for one?

And how much airflow are the case fans providing?

If you've got unlimited space and good case airflow then you can cool anything that you can afford passively. There are some giant passive heatsinks available such as these:
Nofan IcePipe Fanless CPU Coolers

PerfectBlue97

Which heatsink are you using (if you have any LGA1155 etc. compatible) or how much space do you have for one?

And how much airflow are the case fans providing?

If you've got unlimited space and good case airflow then you can cool anything that you can afford passively. There are some giant passive heatsinks available such as these:
Nofan IcePipe Fanless CPU Coolers
I haven't brought the case yet. What case I buy depends on what motherboard I buy.

I'm ideally looking for an all-in-one style Micro ATX or Mini ITX solution that includes passive cooling, rather than an after market cooler.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Generally the only boards that include CPU & Heatsink are those designed for embedded use, so they're often slow for the money compared with a standard desktop motherboard and processor of the same price such as a G4560.

PerfectBlue97

Generally the only boards that include CPU & Heatsink are those designed for embedded use, so they're often slow for the money compared with a standard desktop motherboard and processor of the same price such as a G4560.
That's a given. Faster CPU produce more heat.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom