1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passive Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by stripe, Jul 23, 2004.

1. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi

I'm pretty new to this so please forgive me for going over old ground. I have tried the search but due to my blinding ignorance I can't figure out exactly what to do.

I've recently upgraded my amp and the new one doesn't take my passive subwoofer, apart from buying a new active sub, what would be my options? I'm pretty skint till next month when I will get a new active sub

From my search I found that you can run the sub out to a power amp, which I have a spare one. If I go along this route which input on the amp do I plug it into, or do I have to buy a special cable to feed both channels? Or just go to one and run it in mono?

Or can I cross it with the front speakers, say + into right and - into left? Or is this just barking mad?

By the way the amp is a Denon AVC A10SE and the power amp is a Cambridge Audio A70

Thanks in advance

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You really need a mono block amp, or an amp you can put into bridged mono mode. If you run it into a stereo amp, you will leave one of the speaker connections open and transistors dont much like that. Your amp might be happy to run like that or it might be possible to strap a resistor across the unused output. Im not even sure the amp will be happy with only one input, my power amps dont like being turned on without an input.

3. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi karkus30

I can run my power amp in mono, which input do I run into? There is a diagram on it to tell me how to feed the speaker.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    It probably doesnt matter as it will be bridged anyway in mono. It should say something along those lines in the instructions.

5. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Thanks for your help karkus30

I'll give it a try tonight.