Passive subwoofer connections: spring clip to RCA

C

callidus

I have a passive subwoofer at the moment and will be getting a new amp soon. The amps I'm looking at all seem to have RCA outputs for the subwoofer. Here's an example of what I'm looking at:

x158STD598B-b.jpeg

My current subwoofer has 2 spring clips and no RCA input.

Is there a way to go from a 2 channel passive subwoofer to an RCA?. I've searched the forum quite a bit and can't seem to find an answer to this specific question.

Cheers,

tom

Passive subs need an amplified output. The RCA (sub out, lfe out) on the amps you've seen is not amplified, it's like a line-out. So: you'll need to purchase a new sub, or a monoblock amp for your sub.

alternatively - till you can afford anything else - connect the sub-out, from your new amp, to a line-in on your current amp, leaving your sub connected as is now!

Sniper said:
alternatively - till you can afford anything else - connect the sub-out, from your new amp, to a line-in on your current amp, leaving your sub connected as is now!

Current amp was an all-in-one (dvd/amp) job which doesn't work anymore so I need to find a solution where I can hopefully use the existing speakers.

Is it possible to buy an amp with with an amplified subwoofer out?? Know of any models? ;)

No, such a beast doesn't exist as far as I know. You don't say what make and model the sub and speakers you have at the moment is. But from the sounds of it the sub is going to be pretty poor, so even the cheapest active model (well perhaps not THE cheapest) that you could find on ebay would sound as good if not better. I think that might be a better option.

Jammyb said:
No, such a beast doesn't exist as far as I know. You don't say what make and model the sub and speakers you have at the moment is. But from the sounds of it the sub is going to be pretty poor, so even the cheapest active model (well perhaps not THE cheapest) that you could find on ebay would sound as good if not better. I think that might be a better option.

It was a Sony DAV S880 set. Pictured here
I140975.jpg

For the flat I lived in at the time it was perfect.

I think you're probably right about the subwoofer. I was never that impressed to start with. Oh well, time to starting looking for an active one.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Buy a cheap 2 channel poweramp or stereo integrated amplifier, take RCA out from your amp into the other amp, use one channel to drive the passive subwoofer. Or buy a dedicated subwoofer plate amp or monobloc.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you're up to some modding, you could get a BK BSBP50 (from www.bkelec.com) for £90. But you really shouldn't bother and wait till you can get a BK XLS200 for £279!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom