1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passive or Active?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Truecelt, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Truecelt

Truecelt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.
    I have been hooked on home cinema since purchasing my Panasonic PTae200 projector last year. I currently have a pioneer DV575A DVD player connected to an Acoustic Solutions 5.1 speaker setup.
    Having just purchased a Pioneer VSXD514 AV amp I am now hoping to upgrade to some decent speakers from the likes of Denon or Mission. Now the bit where I feel a bit stupid. My new amp has a sub out phono. Can I connect this to both passive and active subs? If so, which would I be better going for. I know that active subs obviously have their own power supply, but if this is preferable, then why are passive subs so prolific also?
    Some of the subs Ive looked at (second hand) are:
    Wharfedale Diamond 810SB
    Miller and Kreisel VX100
    Ruark Vita 50
    REL Q50
    Gale 3080
    Are any of the above not worth buying? Any help would be much appreciated. :lease:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The sub out socket on your amp is a line out and sends a low level signal to a sub that needs to be amplified by the sub's internal amp.

Passive subs need to be driven either off the amp's speaker terminals or from an external amp and they tend to be either ultra cheap ( no amp or costly electronics) or expensive as they are high end subs with costly drivers which should be driven by an expensive amp.

I'm not sure about the Gale but everything else in your list should perform well for a limited amount of cash.

3. Truecelt

Truecelt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ian, thats very helpful. Cheers
    :thumbsup: