Passive 3D 1080P Projector setup

Thanks Steve but I can't seem to be able to see thePJ lens/adaptor on their site other than in the picture to the top right of that page.

What I mentioned about RealD and Samsung doing RZD passive/active hybrid sets is now off the cards, Samsung has pulled out on the licensing deal.

I did find the thread on AVS Gilbers, well actually I found another thread first of a guy showing his setup using two epson PJs in his tiny flat and then eventually stumbled onto the one you kindly pointed out. Have read through all 30 odd pages and learned a lot! The guys on there know their stuff and I am sure when the time comes they will be able to help me out. I am not currently a member over there but I'll join up and get in on the discussions!

Let us know how you get on with the setup mate I especially would be interested in the results. Just out of interest where abouts in the country are you?

Will do Steve!

May be a while before I go ahead with it as I have to wait for the new house to be finished and then move and get settled in but once I do then I'll be getting started and will post progress as things happen. We had hoped to be in before Christmas but that is not looking very likely now and is probably more realistic to look towards February.

I'm down in Cornwall.

Last edited:
I figured you might have said that Steve! Cornwall is a bit like the end of the Earth and out of the way.

Not the best place to live for AV gear either as there aren't many places to get demos and try stuff out that are close by, always have to drive miles to Plymouth, Bristol or somewhere for the good stuff.

Don't get me wrong mate I would love to visit:D, in fact we made it as far as Cheddar last year so nealy there lol. Maybe next year:).

Cheddar, still quite a distance from there as I'm in Penzance and not far from Lands End!

Roll on the new year so I can get moved house and see how the land lies, who knows maybe there will be something new announced at CES 2011 to help me out.

I'll do my best to document how things go.

What about 2x Optoma HD33 in 2D then you wouldn't need the 3DXL. And you could have polarised as well??

Sorry Steve I'm not following.

I would have to have the 2 X 3DXL's with 2 X HD33 because you need to have the 3DXL's in order to split the left eye/right eye information. Left eye to PJ1 and right eye to PJ2. Hence I don't understand why you said to get 2 X HD33 because I would not need the 3DXL's. The HD33 don't have switching to switch output to left eye or right eye only.

I'm not sure you fully understand how a passive setup works, unless it is me missing something?

A passive setup is as follows:

2 PJ's with polarising filters placed in front of the lense (either linear polarised typically used by IMAX or circular polarised as used by RealD)

Signal from source (Bluray, ps3 etc) goes to a HDMI splitter then HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 out go into 3DXL 1 & 2. The 3DXL boxes have switches to set then to left eye output and right eye output only (or both eyes for active 3D). Out from 3DXL 1 into PJ1 left eye information only. Out from 3DXL 2 into PJ2 right eye information only.

Projected onto a silver screen through polarised filters.

There is no way to get around this at present other than LG's passive projector which is effectively 2 PJs in one housing and it separates the left and right itself and sends them through one lens out to the screen.

There are also the infitec/dolby setups which are a little bit different again.

UltiResis said:
Sorry Steve I'm not following.

I would have to have the 2 X 3DXL's with 2 X HD33 because you need to have the 3DXL's in order to split the left eye/right eye information. Left eye to PJ1 and right eye to PJ2. Hence I don't understand why you said to get 2 X HD33 because I would not need the 3DXL's. The HD33 don't have switching to switch output to left eye or right eye only.

I'm not sure you fully understand how a passive setup works, unless it is me missing something?

A passive setup is as follows:

2 PJ's with polarising filters placed in front of the lense (either linear polarised typically used by IMAX or circular polarised as used by RealD)

Signal from source (Bluray, ps3 etc) goes to a HDMI splitter then HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 out go into 3DXL 1 & 2. The 3DXL boxes have switches to set then to left eye output and right eye output only (or both eyes for active 3D). Out from 3DXL 1 into PJ1 left eye information only. Out from 3DXL 2 into PJ2 right eye information only.

Projected onto a silver screen through polarised filters.

There is no way to get around this at present other than LG's passive projector which is effectively 2 PJs in one housing and it separates the left and right itself and sends them through one lens out to the screen.

There are also the infitec/dolby setups which are a little bit different again.

I am late to this thread, and only just found it. It is not something we deal with, but am very interested in what you are doing. I need to do some background reading first, but there are a couple of points I can throw in that may or may not help.

You may may be able to do without the 3dxl. The hd33 has a 3d to 2d function, when you choose this you can choose whether you want to see the left or right image.

My concern with the hd33 is the lack of position flexibility. It could be very hard matching the 2 projectors due to the lack of a lens shift.

Does the HD20 have lens shift? As in the link to the company above?

As far as I am aware, no. It is not a necessity, but may make the process easier (I would have thought?)

mmm this is sounding more and more feasible. Do you think you could use a HDMI splitter to the 2 HD33's and then as you say get the left and right eye from either PJ? So long as the mount was engineered correctly you could have a passive system for around £2500 to £3000.

Hmm thanks Ricky, so maybe it is an option but I would think lens shift is something that would make it much easier to align the images.

One other consideration is the ANSI level, loss of brightness is a problem with 3D as you're all no doubt aware so a higher ANSI Lumen up near 2500 ANSI Lumens or more is probably something that should be considered/desireable. From what I have read a 50% loss should be expected when using in a passive setup. Some even say 2/3 loss for passive.

Another couple of links I have come across on my travels through the WWW:

DepthQ® Polarization Modulator by LC-TEC AB and Lightspeed Design, Inc.

3D Projection Filters

DepthQ Modulator is similar to the polarotator mentioned earlier in this thread but I think it is a bit more professional and it has a control unit that processes the stream. They have huge industry backing from a raft of names such as Disney, IMAX etc. Something I will definitely be looking into anyway. Can't find a price for the modulator on it's own though.

Linear polarisation has a downside in that you can't tilt you head to much otherwise you lose the image wheras circular polarised is not a problem tilting your head but does require some pre-processing to make it work well, hence the control unit supplied witht he DepthQ system.

Last edited:
Found a USA company with prices, packages and alternative products. They sell pretty much everything:

http://www.tru3d.com/3D_Accessories/3D_Converters.php

Looking at the price of the depthq polarising modulator I doubt I will buy one from here as it was $6500 with a projector direct from lightspeed/depthq themselves. Their PJ is a modified InFocus 720p apparently, so I wouldn't be interested as I'm looking at 1080p only.

Yes the 3d Bee is supposed to be really good and gives the very best 2d-3d conversion out there.

It could be something I may add to my setup as an extra but it is no substitute for true 3D. Maybe it could be used the same as having 2 optoma 3DXL boxes for splitting the left/right signals to two Pjs as well as converting 2d-3d in which case I would buy the professional 3D Bee instead of the 3DXLs and kill two birds with one stone. I'll have to ask about this before I buy any kit.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom