1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Passing Blacker than Black, Arcam DV27+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by twisted, Jun 28, 2003.

Tags:
  1. twisted

twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of a way to turn on a test mode in the Arcam DV27+ to allow for the adjustment of contrast / brightness when using VE? It appears that the Arcam DV27+ does not pass a Blacker than Black signal when using VE??

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a problem with the blacker than black on my dvd player that may interest you.

I have my player (a Sony 725) connected to my display through RGB, and found that when playing back a PLUGE pattern, my dvd player wouldn't pass blacker than black.

I then connected the dvd to the tv through s-video, and found that the Sony would now pass blacker than black, but only when connected through s-video, not RGB.

I then found another trait of the 725 when playing back PLUGE through RGB. I have all the onboard adjustments of my dvd player set to default, colour - 50, sharpness - 50, etc. when I pushed up the onboard brightness control by one notch, the below black bar on the PLUGE appeared out of nowhere. When I reduced it back to midway position, it completely disappeared.

I now have the equipment connected by RGB, with the dvd players brightness control at one notch above default, and the tv's brightness adjusted accordingly.

It seems that on my player, its' ability to pass blacker than black is there, it just depends on how it's connected, or, if I'm using RGB, how I have the dvd players' onboard controls set.

None of this may be relevant to your Arcam, but if it has an onboard brightness control, it might be worth experimenting to see if this works.

Regards,

bob.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Twisted, have you tried tweaking the "below black" setting on page 2 of the setup menu?

4. twisted

twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing on Menu 2 is for setting of 0 or 7.5 IRE pedestal setting for black. Neither setting allows for a Blacker than Black signal to pass. I have tried both settings. I'm using the progressive outputs .

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The test disk "Avia guide to home theater" uses a test pattern for setting black level that is designed for use with dvd players that cannot pass blacker than black.

If all else fails, it might be worth seeking one of these out.

6. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have a dv27+ with the it set to 0 IRE and it passes the pluge test no problem.It was set up with a video essentials test disk, maybe its a problem with your display.Have you tried e-mailing arcam help desk?

7. twisted

twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thxultra - which connector are you using and which mode progressive or interlace....

8. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i am using the component outputs above the scart which are the progressive outputs. The component outputs between the scart and the s-video are interlaced only

hope this helps

9. twisted

twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fatbob - was right ... go figure that the '0' setting on the Pioneer plasma was too dark had to bump it up +3 to see it, now setting at +2 on the brightness. Boy talk about feeling stupid!

I am using the connections above the scart, for progressive component.

10. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    On my DV27 there is an option on the setup menu "Below Black" which has two settings - "normal" and "pass pluge". Maybe they took that off in later (DV27+) firmware versions.

11. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    We took it off the Vaddis 5 based players as it was no longer necessary; there are a few discs out there with illegal video levels on that upset Vaddis 3 players, so that is why the option was there on those earlier players.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

12. twisted

twisted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I take it that the Vaddis 5 is handling the RGB side of the house and the something else must be handling the progressive side (Silicon Image?)? ... as I'm able to get a Blacker than Black on the progressive side using VE's test patterns but not when using RGB.

13. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    could someone please tell me what is the difference between 0 and 7.5 black level modes in the dvd88+ / dv27+ ?

thanks

CaM

14. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    7.5 IRE should be used for NTSC R1 discs unless you are connected via RGB in which case you should use the 0 IRE setting. Pal discs are unaffected.