Passengers

Our Year

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Reese Witherspoon in Talks to Join Keanu Reeves in Sci-Fi Love Story 'Passengers' (Exclusive)

Reese Witherspoon has entered into talks to star opposite Keanu Reeves in Passengers, a sci-fi love drama that Brian Kirk is directing for Wayfare Entertainment.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

Reese Witherspoon on Arrest: 'We Are So Sorry' (Video)

Reese Witherspoon Cancels Talk Show Appearances Following Arrest
The script – Jon Spaihts (Prometheus) wrote the most recent draft – in which a starship transporting human cargo to a colony malfunctions, causing one passenger (Reeves) to prematurely thaw from a cryogenic slumber nearly a century before anyone else. Not wanting to be alone, he decides to wake up another passenger, a female.Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that talks are in the early stages, but should a deal close, Witherspoon would play the female lead.
Reeves is producing the movie with Stephen Hamel and Ben Browning. Michael Maher is exec producing. The project is expected to be presented to buyers at Cannes.
A shoot in Montreal is being planned.

Jennifer Lawrence is in talks for the female lead.

The Imitation Game‘s Morten Tyldum is attached as director.

Rumoured Chris Pratt in early talks to star.

The film takes place on a spacecraft that’s traveling to a distant planet on which a passenger wakes up from a cryogenic sleep 90 years before planned and decides to wake up a female passenger.

Jenefier Lawrence is getting $20 million against 30% of the profit and Chris Pratt’s salary has been bumped up to $12 million.

The budget for the film is around $120m

It comes to something when an original concept big budget movie is such big news. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but it shows just how 'safe' the studios play it with the vast majority (sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots) of their output.

It comes to something when an original concept big budget movie is such big news. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but it shows just how 'safe' the studios play it with the vast majority (sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots) of their output.

They get cold feet when big budget original mostly sci-fi films don't do too well with the likes of Jupiter Ascending and Tomorrowland that were not well received.

This is why they opt for sequels and remakes because of brand awareness, some here were very disappointed with Jurassic World, but the box office shows people flocked to see something familiar.

Of course there is no magic formula or pattern, a film with a great script should do well whether it's a original or a sequel regardless.

Not well received, but most importantly ( to them ) didn't make enough money !

Not well received, but most importantly ( to them ) didn't make enough money !

You love your exclamation marks! Lol

Yes that was my point, but I had not seen updated numbers. If a film is not well received by the critics it's usually reviews very poorly which results in poor box office takings.

You love your exclamation marks! Lol

Yes that was my point, but I had not seen updated numbers. If a film is not well received by the critics it's usually reviews very poorly which results in poor box office takings.
One word for you, Transformers !!!!!!

Last edited:
Continous sequels from a well known brand that had millions of fans going by the box office. Hence why they keep making them.
I was talking about films that are annihilated by critics but destroy the box office.

I was talking about films that are annihilated by critics but destroy the box office.

Who does not want to see giant transforming fighting robots, this is doing well due to the first film, a recognised brand, people don't care if they are rubbish, so they keep churning them out.

Passengers on the other hand as a new high concept ip is going to be a risk, the budget is not the biggest, it's less than flop (maybe need to factor in inflation) Mars Needs Mums, which I actually watched a few months back and it was pretty good!.

Anyway Passengers have secured two of the hottest properties in town. Time will tell if it's a ride worth taking.

Passengers is being touted as more of a romantic Gravity. Could be a tough sell. But with 2 big stars, makes it a lot easier. I wasn't comparing Passengers to Transformers. You said films that don't review well don't do well at the BO, that's not strictly true.

I was referring to big budget original/sci-fi films that don't review well usually do poor at BO, but this is not the case all films, as pointed out with the likes of Transformers. Transformers is a recognised brand by many around the world, and the first film's high octane action has helped keep the franchise alive even when the films get bad reviews.

Mega budget sci-fi/fantasy can be a huge studio risk with the likes of 47 Ronin, Green Lantern, RIPD, John Carter, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, etc

Anyway I probably failed with my views so let's move on.

Yeah, I think Hollywood shy's away from anything new ! Certainly anything big budget !

I really hope Duncan Jones' Warcraft does well we need a fantasy franchise to fill the LOTRs void. I don't know how much it cost but I assume it's costly. The concept art, cgi & weapons are looking good.

I really hope Duncan Jones' Warcraft does well we need a fantasy franchise to fill the LOTRs void. I don't know how much it cost but I assume it's costly. The concept art, cgi & weapons are looking good.
Absolutely, the guy has made two virtually flawless films in my view, he deserves his chance to play with a big budget, I have faith but there's a lot riding on it !

Michael Sheen has joined the cast
as a robot/android.

Last edited:
Release date - 21 December 2016

First teaser poster for this at CinemaCon -

ew-passengers01000233227_0.jpg
ew-passengers9000233227.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom