• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Passchendaele

gingermoonman

Just seen this on Play USA and have looked it up and it looks great!!

Chronicling the real-life World War I battle, Passchendaele follows Sergeant Michael Dunne, part of the Canadian 10th Battalion. "The Fighting Tenths" as they were known, fought bravely during the battle and were awarded with a record number of military medals.

Does anyone know if it will play on Region B Blu Ray?:confused:

IAN P

Distinguished Member
It looks like it's a Canadian produced film,i would say it was region A only until i could find out who was releasing the bluray.Can't say i've heard mention of this at any point in the last few months.

Could even be a made for tv type of film.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Alliance-Universal,hmm,risky.We all know Universal are region free,but it's the Alliance bit that's got me thinking otherwise.:D

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Going off the Wiki link,this film doesn't look like it's gonna' make it's budget back.Can't see it being released anywhere else than Canada and being a success.

Cost $20million and as of Nov 30th made just $4.08million.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Going off the Wiki link,this film doesn't look like it's gonna' make it's budget back.Can't see it being released anywhere else than Canada and being a success.
Unfortunately that is often the way with these sort of films - they rarely receive much publicity. I had no idea this film existed and, like many here, I read the movies forum daily. Did this ever get released at the cinema here? Or is it due a release soon?

Anyway added this to my 'to buy' list. Does anyone have pics of the packaging - is it dual English/French? If so I might wait until a US/UK release.

gingermoonman

Unfortunately that is often the way with these sort of films - they rarely receive much publicity. I had no idea this film existed and, like many here, I read the movies forum daily. Did this ever get released at the cinema here? Or is it due a release soon?

Anyway added this to my 'to buy' list. Does anyone have pics of the packaging - is it dual English/French? If so I might wait until a US/UK release.

Likewise it was just pure chance I was browsing Play USA and came across it, have looked on IMDB and it has got good reviews but it looks like only going to be released in Canada

Canada 4 September 2008 (Toronto Film Festival)
Canada 17 October 2008
Canada 3 February 2009 (DVD premiere)

Looking at Play it comes with English/French languages

PlayUSA.com : Passchendaele on Region 1 DVD

I think we might be waiting a while for US/UK release! If I find out anymore will post info

gingermoonman

Anyone brought this yet? and wether it is multi region:confused:

gingermoonman

Yes I have this and it is reg free

Cheers for that!! what did you think of it? I managed to get a copy not blu ray and I thought it was great quite graphic in places:rolleyes:

Jack A. Napes

Well I held out for just over an hour, just ordered this on Ebay :thumbsup:.

If payment comes from my Paypal coffers, I somehow feel less guilty.

Jack A. Napes

In the review it states: "As we are unsure at this time we still judge the disc as Region A locked."

DVDBeaver commonly list a BD as Region A regardless of whether it's locked or not until they hear confirmation otherwise. If Dav-t has the disc and says it's all region I'm happy to go with that.

It's also a good sign that Sin City and From Dusk till Dawn, both Alliance/Universal titles, have been region free.

Last edited:

gingermoonman

In the review it states: "As we are unsure at this time we still judge the disc as Region A locked."

DVDBeaver commonly list a BD as Region A regardless of whether it's locked or not until they hear confirmation otherwise. If Dav-t has the disc and says it's all region I'm happy to go with that.

It's also a good sign that Sin City and From Dusk till Dawn, both Alliance/Universal titles, have been region free.

Not doubting Mr Dav-t but perhaps when you get disc you could also confirm region free:lease:

Jack A. Napes

Will do :smashin:. Here's hoping the Ebay trader is a quick shipper.

dav-t

Distinguished Member
Put it like this I watched it on a Uk sourced panasonic bd player no probs at all, sold it yesterday in the classified

Jack A. Napes

The disc arrived today and is definitely not region coded. The film and extras all played fine.

I didn't know much about this movie going in, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Ok, it's shamelessly manipulative in places, and has one scene in particular that is a bit OTT (You'll know it when you see it) but the lead characters are likeable, which increases the tension when they become embroiled in the horrors of war. And horrors is right, with visceral battlefield footage that feels immediate and very real.

A/V is superb. Sharp for the most part, grainy and desaturated when it should be, and still looking good in the gauzy dreamlike scenes. The lossless audio really shines during the fighting, with shattering explosions shaking the foundations and bullets flying around the soundstage.

In short, highly recommended :thumbsup:.

Jack A. Napes

Yesindeedy!

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Finally got around to watching this today - I thought it was very good. Some of the battle scenes were a little harrowing - the impact of the artillery in particular - but I would thoroughly recommend this film.

Jack A. Napes

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom