1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pass through on Panasonic DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by glover, May 3, 2005.

1. glover

glover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys-new to this! I am considering buying a Panasonic DMRE85HEBSM DVD Recorder with hard drive-can anyone tell me if this has 'pass through' via the scart sockets (ie the signal form Freeview box passes through DVD recorder to TV when on standby)? My current Toshiba DR1 has this facility and I need it due to lack of scarts and amount of equipment needed.
    Also-has anyone experienced formatting problems with DVDRam and DVD-RW discs on this Toshiba model?

Thanks in advance...

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Yes it does.

3. glover

glover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Rasczak......

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But it won't pass through whilsst recording. ie record from the built in analog tuner and you can't watch freeview. You would have to have a second connection from the freeview to the tv, and some freeview boxes only have 1 scart out?

5. glover

glover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ken, the Freeview does have 2 scarts but 2nd goes to VCR and then to TV from there. The Toshiba I have will pass through when recording from analogue... Guess i was lucky with the Toshy!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Glover,

Just to avoid any confusion in your original post you asked whether "the signal from Freeview box passes through DVD recorder (E85) to TV when on standby" - that was what I answered for. If we are now talking about whether the E85 has the same feature as the Toshiba, i.e. the ability to ability to watch the Freeview signal whilst recording from the internal analogue tuner, then the answer is No. Toshiba and Pioneer models have this feature.

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I got lucky with this feature with my Toshiba XS32 as well. I didn’t know in advance that it did this, but I find it useful. While I generally record from Freeview, this comes in useful weekdays at 6:00 when the kids want to watch “Blue Peter” and record “The Simpsons”. I record “The Simpsons” from the analogue tuner, and for that the quality is fine. The XS32 is in “Sat Moni” mode, so they can watch “Blue Peter” at the same time.

Mark