Pass through and HDMI Upconversion on Onkyo TXSR674

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Oogster, Jan 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Oogster

Oogster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Forum

Happy New Year to all. I have a connection question on the Onkyo and would like to validate my understanding before I plunge in and make a purchase. I detail this below.

Also, can anyone advise what other amps offer the same component to HDMI upconversion as the Onkyo? (I do realise this is upconversion and not upscaling).

Connection Question:

According to the spec, Onkyo has 3 component inputs and one output, plus 2 HDMI inputs and one output, and offers upconversion from component to HDMI.

I currently have 3 video sources which all output in component - (xbox 360, cable box (using JS technology RGB to component converter) and DVD. I have a Hitachi TX200 PJ which I have connected to my video sources via Component leads, and in future wish to purchase a plasma which I intend to wall mount.

(The cable run to projector is 10 meteres - so ideally I want to keep the connection to the PJ using component cables rather than replace with a HDMi one.)

If I connect video sources to the Onkyo amp using component - I assume that I could also connect the amp to the plasma using the HDMI output? However, would the amp also output the video signal via the component out as well so I connect using the component out to my PJ?

My current amp is a denon 3801. Assuming that above connections will work OK, sonically, how will the Onkyo compare to the Denon 3801?

Many thanks, Oog

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    good question and I'd like to know the answer to this. It'd be a nice cheap way of driving two displays without spending over £100 on a HDMI splitter (although you could use a JS tech component buffer to give you two component outputs)

I read the Sony 3200ES manual recently as I was looking at that one (similar HDMI receiver) and that specifically says that the component output is disabled if you connect the HDMI out to a display.

edit: Just had a look at the manual here and it doesn't mention it specifically. looks like it should do otherwise I'd have thought it'd mention it specifically like the Sony did.

Didn't realise the 604 didn't do the conversion from component -HDMI. Also didn't realise it was such a shallow receiver - think its going on my shortlist :)

3. Budarow

Budarow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not meaing to highjack this thread, but thought one of you peeps might have a suggestion for me.

I just pick up the Onkyo TX-SR604 and am having image quality (IQ) issues. I've got a Mitsubishi HD1000U projector (using HDMI to HDMI) and my PC (using DVI to HDMI) connected to the TX-SR604.

With the signal passing through the Onkyo, the image quality is not good going from the PC to the projector.

When I connect my PC directly to the PJ (using the DVI to HDMI cable), the image quality is very good.

Can't seem to find out the cause of the poor IQ.

The only thing I can think of is the cable length is long. I'm using a 35' HDMI to HDMI and a 10' DVI to HDMI. They seem to be quality cables (from MonoPrice @24 AWG).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bud

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    I've read a few posts recently where people have confirmed that the 674 outputs simultanelously on HDMI and component.

But although component inputs go out both component and HDMI outputs, HDMI inputs only go out the HDMI output (they aren't converted to component)

So you might need a little bit of tinkering but it should be doable

5. Mazrus

Mazrus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this amp upconvert to 1080p or just 1080i??

Basically I have a Sony HD TV which I believe only does 1080p via HDMI, so was wondering if I could connect my xbox 360 to this amp via component, then use the HDMI out to go to the TV giving me 1080p on the TV. The xbox 360 does output 1080p via component doesn't it?? So surely the amp could just switch it across from component to HDMI??

Currently the xbox is connected via VGA at 1080i.

6. oddfeld

oddfeld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    It doesn't upscale the resolution at all, it upconverts different video connections (composite/component/svideo) to HDMI. You get out whatever resolution you put in. So yes, it will send 1080p out of the HDMI out, but only if you're feeding it 1080p via the component in or whatever. The 360 can output 1080p over component so it should work. Whether this will look any better at all is debatable, since the 360 output is just upscaled from 720p internally, so it will come down to whether the 360 or your TV has a better scaler.

7. Mazrus

Mazrus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The question is, does the 360 ever put out 1080p? As on another thread I've been told that there aren't any 1080p games out yet... Otherwise I'd consider going for the Onkyo to change the signal from component to HDMI so that my TV could output the 1080p resolution (which I don't think it can through component).

8. JamShady

JamShady
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, there arn't any 1080p games (and I can't see why people want 1080p games, 720p would be far better) but movies are output in 1080p via the HD-DVD player :)

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    but not via component, only VGA which the receiver doesn't support

10. Mazrus

Mazrus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: