Answered Party in a marquee - What do I need?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Peted, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Peted

Peted
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. We are having a party for 30 people in a 9m x 9m marquee.

Half the room will be filled by a large table and the other half will be used for music and drinking. We have a home made jukebox for the audio source (pc with 3.5mm output).

I need speakers and amp. Ideally the music is louder enough to dance to on one side of the tent, but people can still chat at the table in the other side.

I have very little knowledge of AV systems. So any suggestion on what size and models of speakers and amp I need.

(After the party, I would quite like the system to live in my office as my music system, (4.5m x4.5m).)

Also I'm on a bit of a budget, ideally under £300.

Any help would be great.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #5 by GW43, Jul 7, 2015 (1 points)
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,310
    Have you considered hiring a DJ?

If you buy speakers, the you are going to have to manage the music all day/night long. Do you want to play music ...or... do you want to party.

If you buy a couple of so-so PA speakers for this event, what will you do with the speakers afterwards?

If you hire a DJ make sure he understands the type of music you want. Some DJs are Club DJ and are locking into a very specific type of music. Make sure the DJ can accommodate the style you want.

Steve/bluewizard

4. Peted

Peted
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply. We have decided against a DJ. We are going for a juke box I have built. It will play from a predefined playlist and when a guests picks a track, it will be added it to the request play list, which has higher piority of the predefined list.

With the guests we have coming, there will not be a shortage of music requests.

So back to the speakers. The goal is to use them around the house. They will live in my office. So ideally the physical size of the speakers should be smallish (if possible).

5. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,386
    Hello and welcome!!

1. So you want smallish speakers, under £300 that'll fill a 9x9m marquee??

I'd say the chances of that are pretty non existent. You'd certainly be looking at some fairly big PA style speakers to even begin to do this which would cost more than your budget and would never work/fit in your office after.

2. You want fairly loud music one side of the tent but be able to talk on the other.

Again you'll struggle to do this unless you build some sort of barrier between the two areas. You'll lose a couple of decibels from the speakers to the guests sat 7/8 meters away but it certainly won't be much of a difference!!

I hope there is a solution for you mate but it doesn't look an easy one from here!!

6. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Best Answer
    Rent a PA amp and speakers with some of the money, and buy some second hand hifi speakers and an amp with the rest of it.

I doubt you'll meet both your requirements from the same set of kit.

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480