1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partners for Wharfedale evo 40's??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by oly35, May 26, 2005.

1. oly35

oly35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been looking around for a new hifi for a while now and i've got my heart set on a pair of Wharfedale evo 40's which i've found for around £370 - they apparently retail at around £750! :eek:

Im now looking for an amp and Cd player to go with these beautys, i wanna keep the total around £1000, and ive seen the NAD C542 CD Player and the NAD C352CT Amp for a combined £580, so this keeps me under budget.

I realise that i would be having a system with speakers too good for the amp and CD player, but at such a bargain price i cant resist them!! (i had previously looked at a set of Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3 Speakers at around the same price).

Can anyone tell me how well this system would fit together, and if there's any better alternatives out there for around £1000? (preferably with a pair of floorstanders). :lease:

P.S. I listen to pretty much all kinds of music

Thanks, Oly

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The speakers are a crcking bargain, for that money you'll not get better unless second hand.

And second hand is the way I'd go for a cd and amp.

Older Musical Fidelity, Arcam, Linn, Naim and Cyrus amps can be had for around £300 (£1000 rrp) second hand, and perhaps a scond hand cd player (from above for similar money) to compliment. A £1000 machine from 3 /4 years ago is still 90% the performance of a brand new current one.

Have a look at HiFi world magazine, they have a great second hand section and also classic non-current-model reviews.

As ever, if possible, demo.

3. Mr Neato

Mr Neato
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those are the speakers I was looking at upgrading to. Where (if you dont mind) did you see them for that price :lease: .
    Had thought they were out of my budget. :)
    thanks

4. oly35

oly35

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers alot guys thats a great help, il hav a look for some 2nd hand amp and CD players, and as for where ive seen them for that price, well im new to this forum thing and im not too clear on the rules, do i have to send you a personal message or sumthing? as im sure i saw something about not promoting websites on the forums ??? :confused:
    If you could give me the low down id be more than happy to let you know by whatever means is allowed :thumbsup:

5. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    try ebay and hififorsale etc...................