Partner's been in an accident (no damage to other car)

markie g

Distinguished Member
Hello,

I know there was a similar thread a week or so ago, but that one had actual damage.

Misses just called me and stated she has just caught someones car, no damage to the other car but small scrap on ours (that's fine). She managed to find the owner and she was ok about it, said "there's no damage and is happy to not exchange details". My misses gave the owner her number just in case.

Looking for some advice really.. shall we just leave it until/if she calls?

What do we do if she does call, i thought some insurance companies required you to report things with X hours/days?

I want to be prepared really for either outcome.

hammers1

I'd leave it personally. I probably wouldn't have left my number though either.

EDIT: on second thoughts it might be an idea to walk into your local police station and mention what happened so it's recorded. Just on the off chance the other party change their mind and report it to their insurance company and your partner gets collared for leaving the scene of an accident.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
God, this is such a minefield.:(
What the 'experts' tell you to do is report the accident to your insurer immediately, but tell them it is for 'information purposes only' and you don't intend to claim.
However, I can understand why people don't do this, for fear of being considered a greater risk next year, even if the insurer doesn't actually pay up a penny.
But this is the only way to cover yourself against the other party making it an insurance issue without your knowledge.
I know you haven't exchanged insurance details, but the other party will presumably know your reg and her insurer can track yours down via that alone.
So hard to decide what to do when you don't know the mind of other party.

Elrond

What the 'experts' tell you to do is report the accident to your insurer immediately, but tell them it is for 'information purposes only' and you don't intend to claim.
However, I can understand why people don't do this, for fear of being considered a greater risk next year, even if the insurer doesn't actually pay up a penny.
I used to have a named driver on my policy and after she had an accident in her own car, she informed Direct Line (insurers at the time) for "information purposes only" and there was no claim made at all by either party.

Fast forward to my policy renewal and I ask Direct Line for a quote. They obviously already had the details of my named driver and said I have to say that she had an accident in the previous 3 years even though there was no claim. It even increased the quote even though her accident didn't cost Direct Line a penny.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I used to have a named driver on my policy and after she had an accident in her own car, she informed Direct Line (insurers at the time) for "information purposes only" and there was no claim made at all by either party.

Fast forward to my policy renewal and I ask Direct Line for a quote. They obviously already had the details of my named driver and said I have to say that she had an accident in the previous 3 years even though there was no claim. It even increased the quote even though her accident didn't cost Direct Line a penny.
I've heard of this happening.
Simple solution when this happens is to shop around and change provider.
It does show why people don't tell their insurers about every little bump though.
Trouble is, what if the other other person decides "sod it" and tells their insurance?
All of a sudden your insurer will view you even worse, as you didn't disclose an accident to them.
It's like admitting to an affair....better to tell your wife yourself, or hope the other party keeps quiet forever....;)

Last edited:

qwerty321

It's a real catch 22. Don't tell and hope that the other party sticks to their word or tell your insurer then have to declare it for the next 5 years as an 'incident' or 'notification only'. Unfortunately, there are more insurers who ask for incidents than those that don't these days.

My Dad was in something similar. He and the other guy agreed that there was no damaged and everything was fine - two weeks later the tosser has whiplash. This was a guy who was sitting in the parked car and didn't realised his car had been tapped.

IronGiant

In this instance, if the other party changes her mind you'd hope that she would ring up tonight? and say so, and ask for insurance details.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
In this instance, if the other party changes her mind you'd hope that she would ring up tonight? and say so, and ask for insurance details.
They might not want the confrontation of saying "I've changed my mind, I'm going through insurance" for fear of the person at the other end going mental.
Catch22, tell or hope.

markie g

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all the replies so far, still not much clearer on what i should do. As you say, do you keep quite and hope they don't contact or contact the insurance and have to declare it.

I'll have a chat with my partner tonight and get more on the story i.e. if they took our reg etc.

Eric

Distinguished Member
I would leave it personally. If the person was sat in the car however, even though no damage, there would be the reason for the person to change their mind ( imaginary whiplash etc.. ).
If there is no damage, what are they going to claim for? Sat in the car is a different ball game.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom