Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Partition magic help please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by buns, Jun 7, 2002.

1. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Recently i downloaded partition magic, cracked, being told it was fine to do it that way....but it didnt work right so i went ahead and payed the money.

Having repeatedly tried to use my nice new version 7.0, i keep getting error messages telling me the files necessary to support ME are not installed and i should reinstall the 6.0 dis.......but i dont have that disk!!!!!!!! So anyone know how to get around this?

thanks

ad

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bump cos im getting very irritated!

3. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    From what I understand, it looks like the first version you installed was v6, if so, maybe it didnt uninstall properly when you installed v7.

The easiest way to do it would be to get hold of v6 again. Then you can uninstall 7, then re-install 6, then uninstall 6 (this will hopefully remove traces of the 6 install that are currently on your machine), and then install 7 :eek:

But if you cant get v6, you'll have a tough time completely removing the current install. I'd remove v7 from the Add/remove programs in control panel. Then use something like regclean to get rid of any Registry stuff left over. And also look through your hard drive for any files to do with Pmagic that you can delete. Then re-install version 7.

Failing that there's not much you can do. These kinds of programs tend to install alot of stuff in system folders and when they dont uninstall, you often can't do much to fix things.

Make sure you reboot after every install or uninstall.

Good Luck!

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I never had v6.

What i did was downloaded version 7 of internet.....but it didnt work, i assumed because it wasnt a kosher copy. I removed everything to do with it. Then i bought a full copy of v7 from dabs....arrived yesterday but when i try and use it, it tells me that i need to reinstall the v6 disk so i can get ME support.......but i cant cos i never had v6!

You see my problem.....i buy the thing and it tells me i need something else which i dont have!

ad

5. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thats really odd.

If its a full version of 7 and not an upgrade, and you've never had v6 on that machine, why the hell is it asking for the v6 cd?????!!

So 7 installs ok, but when you go to run it, it asks for 6 for ME support. But v7 should support ME anyways!!!!

There's a 7.01 update at the powerquest site, but it doesnt say what it fixes. I also cant find anything about this problem on their knowledgebase.

Maybe send Powerquest tech support an email (without mentioning the first version you installed ;)) and see if they can offer you any suggestions.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks!

It is totally stupid.......the thing runs along fine and dandy.....but when you apply the changes, it asks for the v6 cd and then nothing happens.

i'll drop them a line, its not exactly what i would expect from a new piece of software!

ad

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I have had big problems with this software (v6). The makers were not very helpful.

PM me and I might be able to help.:rolleyes:

8. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know if this will be of any assistance, but would it be possible for you to upgrade from ME? Even returning to 98SE would be an "upgrade" in comparison. This OS must be the worst Microsoft have ever come out with and really does cause a lot of compatability issues. I suffered it for a couple of weeks and had so many crashes and hang-ups I gave up.

I'm running 98 & XP on my system and use Partition Magic 7 on both on a regular basis without issue and find Powerquest stuff excellent.

Appologies that this doesn't cure the problem, but maybe an upgrade from ME would be a solution.

Regards

Dumfy:blush:

9. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

10. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think you can insert the 98 CD into an ME system and turn the clock back, so to speak.

If your father is having so many problems with ME, I'd suggest that he backs up/saves all his important data, reformat and do a clean install of 98.

You could use Partition Magic to create a second partition after the ME and put 98 on that, thereby having a dual boot system. This can get a little complicated though. Also, you'd have to install Partition Magic into ME first and then maybe have the same issues as Buns, above.

Regards

Dumfy ;)

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I cant use partition magic to do anything since it wont work!

I have most things backed up and i think im going to shel out for xp. how do you clean format a hard drive by the way?

ad

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Buns

Your Box is full!

13. feet14

feet14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's probably what I will end up doing. I put a CD-RW drive in it and I know how to backup outlook express emails so that should be ok. Only problem is that it is an HP and all they give you is a recovery CD.

If I could borrow a reasonably sized HD, I could copy across the entire contents of the current drive. Then fresh install 98SE (using my disc) on the original, use PartitionMagic 5 (win 95,98 only) which I've got on a cover disc, and copy back from the spare drive onto the second partition.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nic,

It only had 4 messages in it.........it seems to get full very fast! I used to get more than a dozen into it! Should be ok now!

ad

15. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Believe it or not, powerguest still have failed to deal with the problem! Although i got it sorted with a hand from Nic Rhodes, i have expected that powerquest help. So far they have replied to 3 of 7 emails and seem unable to send me the file to correct the problem because my email account wont handle a file of its size.

If a company sells you a product and it has a problem, they cant just forget about you because you havent got a subscription email address!!!!!

does anyone know an address for powerquest complaints? i cant find one

thanks

ad