• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

partington dreadnought

quadman

Established Member
My first post on here so be gentle with me.
I have just purchased a pair of quad 11l and center of which i'm so impressed with. My question is with the stands, will i benefit from filling the stands with sand, is it a waste of time?

alexs2

Distinguished Member
If the stands have the facility to be filled with sand or other dense materials,then it can make a difference,not only in terms of stability,but it may improve sound quality,by removing/reducing resonances and vibrations from the stand itself...sand is cheap,and well worth trying....the results can be well worthwhile.

D

dreamer_andy

Absolutely, filling the stands generally gives you a more dynamic bass. Its not so evident with the 11Ls but with Dynaudios in particular or even 12Ls there is a definite difference. The dreadnought is one of the heavier stands so you may not notice a difference right away. Do you stick your speakers to the stands?

quadman

Established Member
They are not stuck to the stands as such, but the speakers do have four rubber pads on the bottom which seem to keep them steady.

krungthep56

Established Member
Hi,

I have the 11L's and Partington's too and have been wondering the same. I am also wondering if when you bought the stands they came with bags or anything which would be suitable for filling with sand? A pal bought Atacama's and they were supplied with what he describes as 'plastic sausages' which he filled and popped inside the columns.

Have you figured out what the small circular plastic 'buttons' that the stands come with are for? - mine don't exactly fit over the smaller circular colum bases.

Final question: are your speaker stands supplied with the small rubber 'spikes' that What Hi-fi seems to show on their product of the year images?

Regards,

HT

D

dreamer_andy

The small plastic buttons from your description seem to be "floats" place them under the spikes to stop your spikes penetrating through the carpet, if you want. We used them for a customer who had a pressure pad under the carpet to detect burglars.

Londondecca

Established Member
Builders sand tends to be damp so dry them out. It is not necessary to fill the stands to the top. Using a filler serves two purposes. Firstly it lowers the centre of gravity and secondly dampens the stand.

krungthep56

Established Member
Hi dreamer,

Thnx for suggestion on the 'buttons', as it happens, I had figured they go over the small holes at the bottom of the circular outer 'columns' on the baseplate but couldn't figure out why the tight fit, so was on the verge of inverting, filling with stand, then getting a mallet to hammer home!

Might help if the manufacturer supplied 1) instructions for use (for the thickos among us), and 2) plastic sausages for bagging the sand/shot.

Regds,

HT

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom