Part P / Home Network

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by marvinwright1, Jan 18, 2008.

1. marvinwright1

marvinwright1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I'm sure it must have been asked before but havn't been able to find anything similar using the search facility.

I've been granted planning permission for an extension and my neighbours are causing me some grief over it, they told the council that I've already started and I've removed the chimney breast etc.. Anyway, thats all untrue.

The council want to come and just check for themselves, so onto my question, the letter from the council mentions about all wiring should be Part P compilant. Everything is but I've recently just started wiring the house with cat5 and ct100 for a home network and to pipe tv around. I have a node0 in the garage where everyhing runs from. Does this kind of wiring fall under Part P ? I thought low voltage didn't ?

Is there anything else I should be concerned about ?

Any advice would be great.

Many Thanks,

Marvin

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    It doesn't mate.

Don't worry.

3. marvinwright1

marvinwright1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    great, thats a relief.
    I didn't think it was but thought I better check.

Marvin.

4. Orfink69

Orfink69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Marvin,

Just for your info, unless you are planning on putting a kitchen, bathroom or boiler in your extension then your wiring doesn't come under part p of the building regulations either.

All of your wiring will have to meet current wiring regs (16th or 17th edition) dependant on when you start the extension, but so long as you use a reliable contractor who is NICEIC registered you'll be fine.

Building control will require a test certificate when it's all finished, but they don't need to inspect it.

In fact if you get a decent building control officer (like the one we've got for doing my mates extension) there are only a certain number of visits required, display competence and they leave you alone.

Good luck with the build :thumbsup:

5. Alexg

Alexg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does not just have to be an NICEIC registerd person, saying that will get the back up of many..There are other and much better schemes such as Napit, Elecsa....If you use a contractor you just need to make sure he is part p registerd, that is all.