1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Part Exchange for Projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Richard1, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Richard1

Richard1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie,I'd be really interested to know of UK sources who are willing to part ex projectors.

I have a 4 year old Sony VPL 400 and would like to get something for it against the 11HT or perhaps the new Sharp,but no-one ,so far,seems interested.

Do LCD projectors depreciate in value that fast?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm afraid so.

But how much would you lose on say, a 4 year old car, PC etc.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Always better to try selling your old kit in a private ad. You'll get more for it and the buyer won't be paying a dealers commission.

Regards

4. Richard1

Richard1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thanks to both of you -I was afraid of that being the case.

On the other hand ,I assume used CRT projectors have value,as Roland has a business selling them!

It's odd-used Hi-Fi can be PX'd but not projectors which cost far more.

Ah well.......................

5. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, but you say that but remember how much CRT Projectors devalue.

I bought mine for under £2K @ 8 years old but it's new list price was £14K. Bit like a car really.

Which is why good condition second hand CRT projectors are such good value for money, but I wouldn't dream of buying a new one.

6. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    some used Hi-Fi can be p/ex'd, but not all.

Take things like AV amps for example. Yamaha's flagship from three years ago - the DSP-A1 - had a ticket price of nearly £2000 and a waiting list for supplies. Now you can pick one up in the classifieds for £300 :eek:

I know that strictly speaking an A1 wouldn't be considered Hi-Fi, but it illustrates the point that maybe true Hi-Fi is the exception rather that the rule, regardless of price.

If Naim amps doubled in performance every 12 months yet dropped in price by 1/3rd, I suspect that dealers would be reluctant to p/ex that kit too.

Progress - a double edged sword.

Regards

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I was in the same boat when i came to upgrade from my Sony VW10HT. :(
    Nobody did trade in's on LCD/DLP.

I think maybe it's that CRT can be repaired far easier than fixed panel projectors. Making them viable for use second hand etc.

However!, i managed to sell it within 12 hours using this forums classifieds!. Well worth a try...

I managed to get a four year old Barcodata 808s(about £14-18,000 new?) fitted and setup including full warranty/backup etc, for the same price i got for my old Sony :eek:

I think the situation may change soon as more fixed panel PJ come onto the market and CRT start disappear.

BUT! how much would a £2000 LCD/DLP be worth second hand?. Based on CRT depreciation at about 10-20 percent after 3-5 years...£200-£300? This also depending on if it has bad pixels and remaining bulb life etc. Who knows?

Fixed panels are also going the PC route, in that they are getting cheaper and will be more throw away than repair. Ie by the time the warranty has run, it better to just get a new cheaper/better one than pay for a expensive repair!.

I will state now (gulp!) that there will be a budget LCD/DLP PJ on the market within two years that will cost around £500. With bulb life lasting around 10,000 hours meaning it won't be replaceable. I would then class that as chuck-away technology!. Anyway, i have to go wash my sinclair C5 and "tape" something on my betamax video!. Please *@~ excuse the bad typing, but my Amiga keyboard is playing up :D :devil: :D

Ps Just a tip........i said nearly five years ago DVD players would sell for less the £100 and i was laughed at!. ;)

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Consider yourself lucky. I have to make do with a ZX81.

The projector market has changed so much over the last few years. My first projector, after much time spent auditioning was a Seleco SVP310. A reasonable machine at the time. One of the top projectors according to HCC :rolleyes: . Price was £2895 inc.delivery. My 808 was £2900 , £5 more.

Nowadays I don't think many people would buy a video grade CRT. I was lucky to get my 808 as cheap as that, but it just shows what you get if you are prepared to buy secondhand. I'm not sure many serious HC enthusiasts would buy a 2 or 3 year old LCD machine. They wern't that great back then. More likely to be somebody wanting a big screen for sporting events etc. or just to use as a big TV. Problems with bulb replacement, especially as they tend to lose thier brightness quite quickly are enough to put many people off. I know this has been improved on for more recent models, but back then it was more of a problem.

Rob.