1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parquet / Wood block floor restoration

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KW1816, Oct 17, 2005.

1. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Does anyone have any practical tips on restoring a parquet/wood block floor ?

I knew that we had a wood floor under the hallway carpet and yesterday I finally got round to peeling back the carpet to have a look. Generally it's no too bad with only the odd block loose but there are some 2-3mm gaps between some of the blocks where they've shrunk.
    I'd like to keep the floor and restore it, unfortunately I don't have much in the way of spare funds to pay someone to do it (Not since the wife visited the Furniture Village sale that is !) so it's down to me.

So here's the plan:

Secure any loose blocks
    Fill some of the gaps between the blocks.
    Replace the cork expansion gaps with new cork.
    Hire a floor and edge sander and refinish it.

I've lifted a couple of the lose blocks around the edge and they appear to have been laid onto some kind of tar/pitch concoction. There's a two block border with the rest laid in herringbone.

What's the best thing to use to
    a: Fix the loose blocks down.
    b: Fill in the 2-3mm gaps between the blocks.

It's the gaps that most bother me - As I said, most are 2-3mm and are between quite a few in the herringbone pattern. My first thought was to fill them with PVA mixed with sawdust from the floor but I thought I'd ask around first.

I'm hoping the advice isn't to lift every block and re-lay them ......... :)

Ta
    Kevin.

2. Rich

Rich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    I did mine with the help of a friend(who did most of the work).
    We used parquet wood floor glue(which you can find at most DIY shops) to stick down the tiles.
    The gaps we just left them,once the floor is sanded you won't notice the gaps as much,but if the gaps were fairly big,we used some off cuts off some spare tiles(you can find tiles if you ring round reclaimed timber places or scrap yards).
    We got our spare tiles from here http://www.edwardscheshire.co.uk/

3. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I did exactly the same thing 2 yrs ago. Got a friend to do the work :thumbsup:

He used the thick black tarry stuff to stick the wood down. This then filled in the gaps and provided cushioning. may need to relay some blocks to get tat to flow into gaps.

A good sanding, followed by 3 coats of hard wearing matt polish and they looked great. Good luck

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Kevin,

The usual thing is to mix sawdust with PVA glue as you say.