ParkRun discussion.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MOD COMMENT discussion moved from the photo thread.

I read that story and I kind of agreed with what the council were saying.

I took the view that the council didn't want to stop people running in the park but they wanted Parkrun, as a profit making entity with paid staff and directors, to make contribution to the upkeep of the park. They had no intention of stopping anyone from running

I worked at a charity and we organised an annual 5k & 10k run in a park and we were charged by the council.

Anyway, probably not a topic to discuss in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that story and I kind of agreed with what the council were saying.

I took the view that the council didn't want to stop people running in the park but they wanted Parkrun, as a profit making entity with paid staff and directors, to make contribution to the upkeep of the park. They had no intention of stopping anyone from running

I worked at a charity and we organised an annual 5k & 10k run in a park and we were charged by the council.

Anyway, probably not a topic to discuss in this thread.

How do Park Run make money? Sponsorship?

I don't know. To be honest, I only formed my opinion based on that 1 news article I read.
They were speaking on radio 2 the other day, their argument is that their a not for profit company and don't charge runners or use toilets/grounds etc. So assume the money must come from sponsorship.

Council guy was saying you can apply for a grant to cover the costs, so their no reason not to, and your runners clog up the park for a couple of hours so its only fair you pay something like football clubs etc do

What happens if everyone just goes and runs but doesn't call it 'Park Run'? :)
I think that was the point the council were making. The runners can do so and the council have no issue with that. But because it's organised by a company they feel a contribution should be made to upkeep the park, just like the local football club do.

They were speaking on radio 2 the other day, their argument is that their a not for profit company and don't charge runners or use toilets/grounds etc. So assume the money must come from sponsorship.

Council guy was saying you can apply for a grant to cover the costs, so their no reason not to, and your runners clog up the park for a couple of hours so its only fair you pay something like football clubs etc do
I Do Parkrun every Saturday without fail, it got me into running about three years ago. Exceptionally well organised all staffed by volunteers. I am so much fitter due to it. I can see the view of the council as the park I run at does get churned up a bit but I do find it a bit hard to swallow that it is a not for profit org and its core principle is to get people out running for free... Anyway back to the photo's...

It's great to get people moving and keeping fit and initially it all sounds counter productive to charge but if Parkrun make money in any form and have paid members of staff, they should contribute to the upkeep of places they use.

Parkrun is for locals to keep healthy using the parks they already pay for in council taxes. Sure it has people paid at the top, like charities do too, they keep the website active and planning events, but they use volunteers at the events to collect tokens and stuff. The park is not closed off solely for the run, and it tells the runners to make way for other park users too.
This seems like a short sighted attempt by a council to make a quick buck on the backs of people trying to improve themselves. All this will do is stop people from getting healthy and adding to the cost of councils when the obesity epidemic gets worse. (ok maybe not that bad but it will put off some people who don't want to pay to run)

I guess it all comes down to how much "damage" is done? I've never been to a park run but is grass left in tatters or is there rubbish to clear up?

One question I would ask is how local are these events? The Parish Council maintains facilities for the local community, so if people are coming from far and wide causing excess wear and tear then it's not usage that local funding is intended to cover

One question I would ask is how local are these events? The Parish Council maintains facilities for the local community, so if people are coming from far and wide causing excess wear and tear then it's not usage that local funding is intended to cover
I recall that it was mentioned that people from outside the community travelled to the ParkRun, and again, the council had no issues with that.

There's a good few of them

upload_2016-4-16_20-29-30.png

I help with a running club in my town and help do a "beginners" course for free. We hope that some become members but if they don't then hey ho. We do it on the local sports and social club football/cricket pitch. To me the government is trying to encourage people to exercise in order to combat obesity and park run is just one way. Yes they have paid employees but.....most councils have so called health/activity/nutrition officers with grandiose titles with some stupid ideas but park run consistently get people active. Saving money on local services and the NHS in the long run. As has been said by Paula Radcliffe already said these parks have already been paid for by every bodies council tax. The argument put by the councillor that the football teams pay £60 to play is not relevant as its not like for like as the footballers have a pitch marked out, nets, goalposts and corner flags plus showers provided (or they did in my day).
Yes sometimes people travel as in my local club, they have to travel at least 13 miles into a neighbouring council to find a park run but they make a morning of it and visit one of the local establishments for a breakfast and beverages hence bringing a boost to the local economy.
I even remember meeting a holiday maker who loved entering a different park run (seaside town...nearly).
Rant over 'Keep park run free"

"Free" exercise services in easily accessible local places means that councils will struggle to attract private companies to run expensive gyms in closed down libraries etc

I have never done a parkrun as I used to always work weekends. However, our local one even starts and finishes on the running track which is opened up free of charge for it.
I don't see why once a week the council should charge for a once a week run that gets people off their backside. They should support it.

Bolton council are very big on sports though. Lots of funding and massive amounts of help to anyone who wants to start any kind of club. Even Ironkids when Ironman UK is held is well funded, even though they don't need to.
Ironkids Bolton £3, any other £14 ( IIRC ). Because Bolton subsidies it.

Pretty much already been said above but charging makes no sense what so ever. All the events are kept alive by groups of volunteers running them each week. The commitment these people show to run these events week in and week out (including people to clear up at the end) is remarkable. To put that into jeopardy is short sighted at best. The ones near me start/finish near shops/cafes which get a massive boost to sales each Saturday morning so helps the community too.

It's classic council mentality. They levy a charge but invite application for a grant to cover it. Forms, paperwork, people in jobs in offices earning salaries (from the council tax of course) shuffling paper with a net result of ... absolutely nothing.

Anybody getting back to Parkrun?

Yes, I have done 3 in the last month and its good to be back. Pretty busy too and also plenty of other peeps using the park with no issues.

We are probably 30% down on numbers so far. Getting a fair few tourists though
The new timing app and scanning seems to be working a treat so far

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom