Parking Wars

Iccz

I know there are a lot of streets in this country that are rammed full of cars with only room for 1 car to go down, it's not quite that bad around here cause I live in a quiet little village.

Basically the house across the road from us has been empty for a while, and the house next to it has recently been rented out, a family has moved in and realised that nobody lives in the house next to them so regularly parked their car on the drive, fair enough.

A couple of days ago the guy who owns the house comes back and sees the car as he's moving people into it next week and he sees a car on his drive, so as he knows my Dad from talking now and then he comes over and asks whos car it is and if my Dad would go explain to them that people are moving in soon (the guy is Thai and his english isn't amazing), anyways my Mum goes and tells the people and such, anywho today 2 cars turn up to go to the house and there's a car on the drive, so what they do is put one car next to the car on the drive and the other car they put on the neighbouring drive right behing their car, absolutely brilliant :D

The woman come out the house to get in her car, then saw the other car behind it, had a look at it, went in the house and her husband come out, neither of them did anything and went back in, you can see them looking out the window every so often to see if its gone yet :rotfl:

This isn't the first time we've had people causing problems over parking and blocking drives etc, but this time I think it's fully justified and it's given me a good laugh.

You wouldn't mind while nobody lives there, but there is room on the road, their drive or the grass out the front of the house, there are plenty of options.

Anyone else have problems with parking where they live?

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Yes with the next door neighbours on both sides :eek:

Neighbours to the left of me 2 son's who don't live there take up the space of a quarter of the road with their vauxhall astra company car's :D

The neighbours to the right "son in law" comes daily with his various methods of transport , pick-up, transit you name it he drive's it :rotfl:

well they all block of my drive gates so can't get in or get out :mad: without leaving my car down the bottom of the road ... pillock's they even do it when there is plenty of space , if my insurance wasn't that high , i might have give them a little nudge by now ;)

emporer

Banned
The family on one side of me are very arrogant when it comes to parking, they think that they have the right to park all there cars right outside their house and overcrowd the space thats available thus forcing myself and others further back into the culdesac, there really is no room for more than one vehicle outside our houses but they have 2 large cars and a van parked out the back.

He is very petty in that when one of their cars is away for repairs or something he will park the van at the front so nobody else can park there ie me! the funny thing is that the van never gets used, it only travels from the back to the front now and again.

I remember when we moved there about 15 months ago I had parked to where I should a few times and he did come out and ask me to move so he could park his van there, I explained that I need the room and ability to park right outside our house as we have a very disabled child and obviously it makes things easier, the reply I got was 'I don't give a f---', needless to say we don't talk to them or even acknowledge them now, although the attitude doesn't suprise me as he is your usual neanderthal builder and really doesn't have much in the grey matter dept!

Now what I tend to do is park so close that they have a right time negotiating their 2 cars in and out!

EDIT - can I just add that not all builders are like this!! not trying to offend any builders here!!

Last edited:

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
The family on one side of me are very arrogant when it comes to parking, they think that they have the right to park all there cars right outside their house and overcrowd the space thats available thus forcing myself and others further back into the culdesac, there really is no room for more than one vehicle outside our houses but they have 2 large cars and a van parked out the back.

He is very petty in that when one of their cars is away for repairs or something he will park the van at the front so nobody else can park there ie me! the funny thing is that the van never gets used, it only travels from the back to the front now and again.

I remember when we moved there about 15 months ago I had parked to where I should a few times and he did come out and ask me to move so he could park his van there, I explained that I need the room and ability to park right outside our house as we have a very disabled child and obviously it makes things easier, the reply I got was 'I don't give a f---', needless to say we don't talk to them or even acknowledge them now, although the attitude doesn't suprise me as he is your usual neanderthal builder and really doesn't have much in the grey matter dept!

Now what I tend to do is park so close that they have a right time negotiating their 2 cars in and out!

that's disgraceful if ever you feel the need to make a pit stop through his lounge wall ... i urge you to do so :smashin:

clockworks

Novice Member

EDIT - can I just add that not all builders are like this!! not trying to offend any builders here!!

Get the local council to paint a disabled parking space outside your house. If he parks on it, get his vehicle towed away.

emporer

Banned
Ii had considered that at one point but apparantly the disabled bay is just a courtesy thingy so people don't park there, in reality anybody can park in it.

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
We have an old couple who live next door but one - who are lovely, but they have adult children who visit all the time and are the most selfish parkers I have ever met.

The eldest son is some miserable sour faced arrogant little **** who roars up to the end of our cul-de-sac (in his Focus :D), then will park his car outside his mums house - even if there is another car on the opposite side of the road (the road is narrow as it is a 1930s development), thus blocking the road for anyone else who wants to get past. Once I was driving down the road and he was parked outside his mums, cleaning his car with the door wide open into the road. I drove up and couldnt get past because of the door...so I was sat there with engine idling, he looked up from his back seat, and then carried on cleaning. I beeped my horn, he looked up again, and carried on cleaning.

I got out the car, walked past him, knocked on the door of his mums house and asked his mum if she could please tell her "child" to close his door so I could get past as he was refusing to do it. He is at least 35 - his mum gave him a proper ear bashing :D

qwerty321

Parking in our street is bad during the day.

There is a police station in the next street and the officers park their private cars in out street when they are working. Its a real pain but I dont think there is much we can do!

metropolis

Parking in our street is bad during the day.

There is a police station in the next street and the officers park their private cars in out street when they are working. Its a real pain but I dont think there is much we can do!

call the police,but use one of your neighbours names :D

Ii had considered that at one point but apparantly the disabled bay is just a courtesy thingy so people don't park there, in reality anybody can park in it.

I remember years ago, when I worked for Renaul we had a customer who came in asking if we could try to remove a sign/sticker that someone had stuck to her windscreen, which read:

You have taken my parking space, would you like my disability too??

:eek:

Turns out she had parked in a disabled bay and they had then stuck this sign on with something like superglue, as in the end we had to replace her windscreen as we couldn't get it off for love nor money. :lesson:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
i live in a cul de sac and its the end of a fork and people often come down to turn around

one family that not long ago moved out used to hae an absoloute ton of cars and kids (all grown up) and they always had all the parking spots in the close - we are pretty lucky as you can fit about 6 cars actually on our drive

someone that lives down the road has a U shaped drive and people often turn on it, but some follow it allthe way round as a roundabout - one time he came home and his neighbour was doing it so he shot down there and blocked him in
he asked "What are you going on my drive?"
the reply was "Im not on your drive"
"yes you are all 4 wheels are on my drive, you are turning round in it. if i see you on my property again then i will damage your car"

he never went on it again

lostinspace

Putting my crash helmet on before I speak (cos I'm going to need it)...............................ban all on street parking.
If you want a car, buy a house with somewhere offroad to put it. If you have 4 cars, get a house with a drive which takes 4 cars.

Near where I used to live, the council got so many complaints about people parking on the street without consideration for others (there was a pub which didn't have a car park) that they put double yellow lines down it. Job done:devil:

Surely the answer is to have parking permits-one per household.

jay mc

Our road is a nightmare, its all on street parking and if i get home late i end up parked two roads away:mad:

The reason sometimes is because theres to many cars but mostly due to a small minority who simply can not park to save there lives! One neighbour always parks just fare enough from the ally entrance that only a smart car could park there and another you get close you will have another dent on your motor!

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
used to be a nightmare before we moved , there were houses both sides but only parking on one side due to the width of the road :eek: , now we have moved and after a bit of alteration to the front garden of the house i have 3 good parking spaces , and 1 car , now the problem i have is certain people ( blond bimbo in the corner house !! ) now tries to use it as her private turning space , caught her doing it once and she had the cheek to tell me to stop moaning about it , best bit is , when she moved in someone parked across her drive in all innocence , and she set her on/off pitbull boyfriend on him , mind you she does not like being reminded about it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Get the local council to paint a disabled parking space outside your house. If he parks on it, get his vehicle towed away.

Highway Code Rule 241
You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, such as Blue Badge holders, residents or motorcycles, unless entitled to do so.

gus607

The road outside your house is a public highway, as such anyone can park there.

Makes me smile when i see signs in house windows saying "No Parking". Means nothing.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member

Makes me smile when i see signs in house windows saying "No Parking". Means nothing.

quite right , but , would it or would it not annoy you if you could not park outside your own house night after night because of some selfish pillock :mad:

Last edited:

Ned Senior

On our street you can park (in the evenings) on the kerbside or across the street end in on a layby type space for an office daytimes it is usually murder to find a speck..
However I always park 5 minutes away outside a care home as the last two cars I had were damaged by ***** dancing on the roof
There are 19 wine bars/pubs within 10 minutes stagger from where the flat is and loads of the ***** pass down the street on the way home

I do think though that it is mainly drunken youths coming home from the nearby park and beach that do the damage inc. snapping off mirrors

Have only been parking there since march and am dreading a bad winter and getting drenched

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
We live opposite a small junior school ,so we know all about parking wars ,every day from 8:30 onwards and then 3:00 onwards ,most seem to think it is acceptable to block the road while picking up their little darlings .

Like the poster above says the law is quite clear, on a public highway people can park anywhere ,but what alot of people do is forgo a little manners and respect and hide behind the law thinking that gives them a right to be rude .

There have been a number of unsavoury incidents involving neighbours and the rude parents , ending in misery for the parents ,one bloke got rather excited and told my missus to **** off while agressively posturing outside his 4x4 ,needless to say he was dealt with in a manner more suited to his display of bravado .

Another bloke had his car towed away lol.

jenic

I love reading these stories :D

We have had arguments with vans in the turning space on our street, actually one has been parked there a couple of weeks now so i'm waiting for that to kick off.

Personally i have only had one. At the bottom of the street there is a bus stop which takes kids to school, everyone parks on the right while waiting, and thats ok, because if they parked on the left you cant see anything coming down. One day everyone was on the right except some woman in an old espace, blocking my vision of up the road while parked on the left. I took a risk and went up the street which luckily was empty, opened my window at the side of her, she opened hers and i gave her the best 10 minute rollocking i've ever given, one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. Never seen her since :rotfl:
I pointed the car out to my neighbor when i got home and he said she only lives 5 minutes walk away, lazy ****ing kids.

I am expecting arguments with us though, we have 2 motorbikes, 3 cars and a van, the bikes are garaged and everything else can fit on the drive but for convenience i leave either my van or car out. If the bikes are coming out i leave all the cars out on the street as its easier (and better for the environment) if i wait until i am home again and then put them in rather than out-in-out-in.

Phil57

I love reading these stories :D

We have had arguments with vans in the turning space on our street, actually one has been parked there a couple of weeks now so i'm waiting for that to kick off.

Do the vans star in any animated films that we may have heard of?.....:D;)

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
we're lucky enough to have space for both our cars on the drive, but the houses opposite can only get one on. So they park their second car on the street outside. Problem is, that blocks me from getting off my drive, so I end up driving partly off the kerb.

Also, the owners used to regularly use our drive to turn their car around when they went off to work in the morning - couldn't be bothered to use the turning point 3 doors down. They've stopped it recently though - maybe another neighbour had a word.

neilneil

Actually I think that "A public highway" grants a right of passage not a right to park. You can be done for obstruction of a public highway anywhere if you restrict the ability of someone to pass along that highway.

However, in reality these laws are never enforced unless it is some ones drive way that is being blocked or a dangerous location etc.
Yellow lines / parking zones etc are used to create some sort of order to define places where the laws will be enforced should someone decide to park there.

-Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

WarnerMedia and Discovery to merge under AT&T deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals