Paris with the Sony RX100

Genoma

Some recent shots from this beautiful city.

Eiffel Tower at Night
by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Locked In

Arches of Notre Dame

Saint-Jacques

Centre Pompidou

Into the City

All taken with my new Sony RX100. Spent time with it on purpose to see how I missed the DSLR (which I used in Rome). I do miss the ultra wide angles with the 10-22 on the DSLR but was pleasantly surprised with the results for this tiny camera and was wonderful not having to walk around with a bag and lenses with my at all times. Also meant I could just drop a small joby tripod in my wife's bag (even thought some of the good night shots above were handheld!).

Last edited:

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Great shots. Amazing what this compact can do.

mjward

Annoying.

I was quite content blaming my poor photos on the downgrade from a DSLR to the RX100 but quite clearly it's not the cameras fault! Cracking pics. I've seen a lot of the locks but love the dark to light hues you have captured here.

shotokan101

Banned
Must say that I was a little surprised at how much noise was evident on some of the shots (albeit at larger viewing sizes) given how much larger the RX100 sensor is over a "normal" compact.....

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Must say that I was a little surprised at how much noise was evident on some of the shots (albeit at larger viewing sizes) given how much larger the RX100 sensor is over a "normal" compact.....
Didn't realise there was any, not had access to the computer all day ;) Will have to look later.

Genoma

Stop pixel peeping and enjoy the shots :) !!!

Joking, which do you think show noise, could be the ones I hand held with higher ISOs.

shotokan101

Banned
4 and 6 ?

snerkler

Distinguished Member
4 and 6 ?
OK so viewed at full size there is quite a bit of noise (probably higher than expected), but it's still better than your regular compact imo. Of course I don't know how much NR has been applied, if any, in camera or post?

To be honest, I remember a couple of my night shots from Venice having more noise than expected with my EM5-II, and more than others in similar lighting/ISO but haven't figured out why :confused:

shotokan101

Banned
OK so viewed at full size there is quite a bit of noise (probably higher than expected), but it's still better than your regular compact imo. Of course I don't know how much NR has been applied, if any, in camera or post?

To be honest, I remember a couple of my night shots from Venice having more noise than expected with my EM5-II, and more than others in similar lighting/ISO but haven't figured out why :confused:

"Duh!" :devil:

...see my original post :p

snerkler

Distinguished Member
"Duh!" :devil:

...see my original post :p
Well yeah, but sensor size is between a compact and m4/3 and as such ISO performance should be too, which it is :p I don't understand why you therefore find it surprising ;) Granted it's not proportional, but we already know this from the (lack of) difference between m4/3 and APS-C.

shotokan101

Banned
AS I said - just that it's noisier than I expected TBH given the reviews/feedback I'd seen - especially for a later model.

shotokan101

Banned
see previous posts ? :confused:

Genoma

Weird repost...

Yeah, those were handheld, higher ISO and particularly dark ones, not sure my DSLR would have done muuuuch better :) Tripod and ISO 100 would have been much better, but I was walking around at night and didn't take it.

Last edited:

johnmc

love #3, #1 could be straightened a tad. (leaning to the left )
(Rome on flickr is a good one too )

Last edited:

Genoma

Yeah #1 bugs me a bit, weird angle taken can't get it straight (tower straight = uneven ground level and vice versa). And thanks; got a few more of Rome on the way. :)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Yeah #1 bugs me a bit, weird angle taken can't get it straight (tower straight = uneven ground level and vice versa). And thanks; got a few more of Rome on the way. :)
Do you use lightroom and if so can't you correct it in the lens corrections either by using vertical in basic, or doing it manually?

AMc

Distinguished Member
Nice shots, very much the spirit of the city.

I don't think you'll ever get the tower and ground at right angles and perfectly vertical and horizontal because the picture isn't taken at the exact centre line of the tower and obviously the camera is tilted up quite a lot. If you look at the back "legs" of the tower through the arch, the shot was taken slightly to the right. If you did straighten everything up with trapezoid distortion it will look weird because the tower is so tall a small movement at the base throws it out.
This is the kind of shot I take quite often then after I've got home and downloaded I realise I wasn't exactly where I needed to be which is frustrating. That's not to say it isn't a very good picture, it is!

Genoma

Yeah, tried adjusting in lightroom with manual transforms and it doesn't work, mainly because the ground is so close to the camera and the tower is so far, can't make them both line up and I guess the camera was skewed. Oh well, I still like it :)

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Nice set and yet again proves what a great camera that is. Little bit of noise is OK for me but by the time you'd have sorted out the best settings the moment would have gone. I'm such a big fan of the RX100

newbie1

Distinguished Member
I heard the Eiffel Tower was copyrighted :)

shotokan101

Banned
Yep - night shooting is prohibited - o.k. during the day though... o_O

Reason is that at night they switch on the lighting effects and that is technically a work of art and is copyrighted ;)

snerkler

Distinguished Member
Yep - night shooting is prohibited - o.k. during the day though... o_O

Reason is that at night they switch on the lighting effects and that is technically a work of art and is copyrighted ;)
Ridiculous law, can't imagine the 'artist' would uphold it with over 24million night photos of the Eifel Tower on google images.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022