Parental Router which one !!

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by [email protected], Jan 8, 2012.

1. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok guys im running the 50mb Virgin into the normal black PS3 looking Virgin termination box, off that i have a Netgear WDR2000 and in all fairness the netgear has been bulletproof, more than i can say for the old one i had the dreaded 834GT.

anyway the router has a few blocking features but nothing nice.

I want a new Ethernet based router that does the folowing

MAC Address blocks or likewise using Time.
    Site Blocks
    Wireless time switch so the radio go on and off possibly.
    maybe even an automated shutdown of router than back on in the morning

Ive not yet moved to the Virgin superhibs, as i hear bad stories from my m8s with dropped connections etc.

Anyway i did fancy that new netgear N900 but its 180 quid and unsure if it will offer me what i need

I used to like Draytek Vigours, but i had a bad run with them, and ended up talking to china about a major bug that caused them to lockup if hammering port 119 or any newsgroups with mass thruput, they ended up saying they couldnt solve it so i sacked them off.

Anyone know of any good sub 150 quid routers offering nice kids safe features.

thanks

P.S or is there is anything i can add to my setup to enable something.

2. thebiznes

thebiznes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    You could always try a PF sense which is a firewall router solution, but would require an old PC or low pc hardware. It will restrict everything you want and do pratically everything simply. Very easy to setup too. Maybe it would be a good idea to install virtual box on your pc then take it for a test run first.

http://www.pfsense.org/

These linux firewalls with Intrusion detection and things like squid etc offer really good features. If you have better PC hardware try untangle also good. I have mine running on a HP Microserver which I bought for media storage about £120 also a very good bit of kit. The pfsense runs in a Virtual machine on windows 2008.

Pfsense is completely free and very good software.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  3. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks

Ive seen these Microservers they look good, I remember long ago i used smoothwall at work and it was pretty good.
    I,ll check out these 2 many thanks

ted

4. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. bilbonvidia

bilbonvidia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Netgear opendns live parental controls, see the netgear website for which router supports it.
    NETGEAR Live Parental Controls Demo

Wit regards to the ealier comment on pf sense running on a virtual machine. Can this be done while still using the host machine as the main family machine rather than setting up and extyra machine to sit between the router the family machine and the rest of the network?

6. thebiznes

thebiznes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Yes it can be setup that way in a virtual machine. Basically the pfsense would give a DHCP address to the other machines. It might be a easier way to control your network knowing once your main PC is shut off the kids have no access to the internet also.