Parasound owners - what have you got ?

Originally posted by Smurfin

That said, I can't remember being wowed so much by the pure detail retrieval and cinematic impact I heard from the Parasound C2/A52 combo......stunning.

Matt - you heard the C2 with an A51 (the A52's big brother). I may be adding the A21 (the A51's older cousin) just to complete the 7.1 family :)

I agree with the consensus that processing diferences are not as huge as one might think over a certain price point. after all, we are dealing with a pretty compromised digital process. This is why I found more of a difference on music when comparing units. There, with a proper analogue bypass, the differences can be very obvious. I've also come to be sceptical about analogue bypass, in many cases these do not actually bypass the dsp circuitry at all, just pass through it with the dsp modification disabled. To my mind, there will still be filtering going on within this process.
The power amp will always make a big difference, and I would agree that upgrades should focus on this area. I don't think it's all about power however. Not only can power ratings be misleading, but also one only has to listen to a low power valve amp to hear that a powerful transparent soundstage can be achieved at low levels of wattage.
The quality of power delivery will determine the tonal rightness of music and effects, and give you the feeling of realism, of being there. It will also provide an almost 3D shape to sounds, making them far more distinct within the mix. This, in my opinion , is where most of the highly rated receivers fail to deliver. All of the information is provided, and in the right locations, but it becomes quite confused and fatiguing to listen to.
To use a comparison to music. Many amps will provide a detailed soundstage with lots of individual instruments vying for attention. Far too few will provide a coherent musical whole, within which one is aware of all the constituent parts.
And as for depth of soundstage, again this is where quality counts, as loudspeakers cease to form the boundaries of the experience.

Originally posted by gizlaroc

The a51 is the replacement for the 2205 isn't it ?? 250w per channel ??

Yes thats right - the A51 has 250W x 5 @ 8 ohms or 400 x 5 @ 4 ohms.

Quite a back breaker at 80lbs net weight. If you see it in the flesh removed from the rack you will realise what a monster it is. I recall it being benchtested by one of the mags and it delivered a lot more than the quoted figures. Still smaller than the Cinepro though !

I dont think its a replacement for the 2205 - the HALO range is an additional line. The classic range continues but will be updated sometime next year

Thanks for the replies.

I did want a good jump from the Denon, which you all agree this would give.

I did read on www.audioreview.com , that a lot of owners of older Parasound equipment had reliability problems. Not sure about the new stuff.

I like a lively and detailed type of sound. I like my Denon sound, just lacking in power.

I agree about the mags, some say the Pioneer 10i is as good as reference system.

I have the funds now so would like to get both proc and power amp. I suppose it is important to match both.

Is there any point spending more than the C2/A51?
Obviously my Concertino homes are not top end speakers.
I am prepared to spend more if it is really worth it. I'm not convinced it is?

This EAD does get great reviews in the better press. It would appear to be about the best.
Do you think the US stuff is better quality and value than the UK? I'm beginning to think it is.

£3500:eek: But what a monster it looks....

Thanks to a few people, one of them from this forum, I am now the happy owner, (so far) or a Parasound C2 processor.

I can thank Rags for pointing me in the right direction dealerwise for a demo and purchase.

its 2 days in from setting it up audiowise and im pretty gobsmacked, so clean sound and setup was a breeze.

Im waiting on a subwoofer delivery so its 7 times speakers till then.

Im in the club 4 sure!

Maninblack welcome to the club ! Keep us posted on how you get on.

A Parasound C2, 7 Mackie actives, an SVS PB2+ and a 50" plasma - now thats a combination worth having !

whoa Rags and Smufin quick replies!

Audio is lush! The sound goes neighbour inducing agravating loud with no distortion. When the sub comes that may worsen.
Screen wise, NTL, freeview and even Tivo outup is really acceptable, even jaw dropping.

Arcam DVD player so far is actually dissapointing on my screen, so somethings amiss.

Sound wise,
:smashin: TV, films, and music, A2+!!!!

Gizlaroc.
What speakers do you have? Were they the same ones you had with the Denon?
I am very tempted to get the C2/A51. Also thinking of the Krell.
How did the sound of the Parasound compare to the Denon?
I am after a lively and detailed sound at lower volumes. I think the Denon has this to an extent. What do you think?

Well after a few weeks buying spree on the classifieds I've got:

3 M&K S125's (cheers dts boy!)
A pair of SS150/2 THX Surrounds (ta Manicman)
And a 2nd Rel Storm 3 (from Simonthepieman, but his new SVS will knock these into next week I guess!)

And finally, a Parasound A51 (ex dem) at a ridiculous price, but still a big wallet unfriendly hit!

Now, what was that I once read about starting with the front end and working out?

Obviously its a C2 next step, and then I'd better get something to play those funny shiny discs on!
Phil

Now for the hard part - what do I tell my wife the A51 does when it arrives Saturday? ''How much???!!! My god, the size of it.... And there's not even any f**** buttons to play with...''

Welcome :D

IMHO you cant do better than a C2/A51 combo unless you spend off the chart money. Rock solid buy. Please keep us informed of your progress/opinion once its all set up and working.

Hello,

I am a proud owner of parasound halo C2 and parasound 2205. :)

Friendly regards

Tom

Originally posted by Philly112
And finally, a Parasound A51 (ex dem) at a ridiculous price, but still a big wallet unfriendly hit!

Hi Phil
I see you got the ex dem from CRT (well, it was on sale before your post, and gone by the time you posted). So thank you for taking the temptation away from me. Did you pay what they were asking, or ask for even more off?

Well as I'm a lousy bargainer, I paid the asking price - now don't make me feel bad thinking I could have got it for even less!! Crazy really, as I always ask for a discount on ANYTHING I buy, but I just got carried away with the quoted price! Still, I'm happy, they're happy, my speakers will be happy, my wife's happy*

It's not arrived yet (ETA Saturday) so once I get it all hooked up I'll give a report.
At the moment I'll be running it from the pre amp outs on my Yamaha AX1, so I'm not expecting too much, but will upgrade to a decent processor in the Summer sometime.

Phil

*Spot the odd one out

Originally posted by tomvbugg
Hello,

I am a proud owner of parasound halo C2 and parasound 2205. :)

Friendly regards

Tom

Tom - well done - good combo - what made you chose the C2 and did you demo anything else ?

Also are there any C1 owners out there ? Nobody wanted that LCD screen ?

Originally posted by Philly112
now don't make me feel bad thinking I could have got it for even less!!

Not at all Phil, you've got a great amp, which has been used for 1 demo, for a fantastic price. They've been going so quick, I expect they'd have laughed if you'd asked for a discount - I just thought I'd check the water, in case I felt rash, and offered on one of the others. Well, the A52 :)

So far so good on replacement. stunning

Originally posted by rags
Tom - well done - good combo - what made you chose the C2 and did you demo anything else ?

Also are there any C1 owners out there ? Nobody wanted that LCD screen ?

Hello Rags,

I made the upgrade from a lexicon mc-1 to a parasound halo c2 and am very happy.
I heard the C2 at a friend of mine and was really impressed.
And since I was already extremly happy with my 2205 that made the choice even easier. :D

Friendly regards

Tom Van Buggenhout

Sounds good mate. Most people who listen to the C2 are pretty impressed ! The MC1 was a good processor in its day but the newer kit has taken significant strides forward imho. I had a guy who works for a high end HIFI/AV shop round yesterday and even he was impressed. Said my system sounded very very good and was set up just right - guess who's chuffed to bits !! Also gave me the run down on Plasma technologies without trying to sell me one, so a top bloke (no names unless he posts himself)

Maninblack - hows the new C2 sounding through your actives ? (Maninblacks C2 was dodgy out of the box - kept shutting itself off for some reason - anyway he picked up a new replacement unit yesterday - frustrating when that happens - sorry mate but at least the dealer took care of it without quibble!!).

Also heard that Parasound are launching a new DVD player in a couple of months time (after several delays !). I for one will definately get one (as long as the price is reasonable) as it supposed to have DVI/HDMI out and is supposed to look very similar to a C2.

Maninblack - hows the new C2 sounding through your actives ? (Maninblacks C2 was dodgy out of the box - kept shutting itself off for some reason - anyway he picked up a new replacement unit yesterday - frustrating when that happens - sorry mate but at least the dealer took care of it without quibble!!).

Its er, stunning!! No problems with this one touch wood.
Through the Mackies its crystal clear and unstrained.

Film today was master and Commander and that was lush.

The er, subwoofer blew the walls off during the first cannon scene, I had to turn the film of and couldnt stop laughing.

Auto setup works well I think.

Really Rags, fingers crossed this thing is fantastic, and so was the dealer and his staff, top marks for them definitely.

Thank god for that - now just sit back and enjoy. I saw the pic and you have a great set up. Did you use the autocalibrate function and if so did the subwoofer calibration work - never works on mine so I have to do it manually :( . Still sounds great though.

The dealer is really a top bloke so no worries there.

Rags - A halo dvd player?! where did you here this from as i am gonna go and get my credit card limbered up ready for it! i have been waiting for this as soon as i bought my pre/power; i almost bought a linn unidisk just after xmas, but this will be worth waiting another month or two for:clap:

Yup - heard it last week from the Parasound dealer I bought my kit off. Expected in early July. Should be nice if the rest of the kit is anything to go buy. Keep that credit card handy !! I dont think it will be less than £1500 though :( .

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom