chambeaj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently considering purchasing the following Parasound components:

Parasound Halo A52 5ch Power Amp
Parasound Halo A23 2ch Power Amp
Parasound Halo C2 Controller

Upto now I have only ever owned integrated AV amplifiers. For various reasons I have decided to sell off my Denon and go for separates incl. a decent video processor (i.e. the Crystalio II).

I have a question concerning separates which I would be most greatful if someone could answer for me.

Basically I understand that the power amps are triggered on via a 12v trigger line. I presume that when the C2 processor is placed into standby mode the power amps are automatically turned off!! However, are the power amps truely turned off, or are they simply put into a standby state? if in standby mode then what is the power consumption when in standby?

The reason this question came about is that I noticed that the Krell Showcase Amps specify a standby power of 90W!! which seems somewhat rediculous.

Kind Regards
Adrian

ps. Are the Parasound components fanless?

hi, i got a c2 and an a52. never really checked the standby power consumption as my electric bill never rose when i got the system. the 50" plasma has made a difference however!

dts_boy said:
hi, i got a c2 and an a52. never really checked the standby power consumption as my electric bill never rose when i got the system. the 50" plasma has made a difference however!

Can you confirm that the Parasound C2 decodes both DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-ES Discrete ?

Also if Parasound kit is purchased in the UK does the 10year parts warranty / 5year labour warrantly apply to non US (i.e. UK) customers?

Plus I understand that Parasound have future hardware upgrades for the C2 planned. Will UK owners be able to get these upgrades?

chambeaj said:
Can you confirm that the Parasound C2 decodes both DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-ES Discrete ?

Also if Parasound kit is purchased in the UK does the 10year parts warranty / 5year labour warrantly apply to non US (i.e. UK) customers?

Plus I understand that Parasound have future hardware upgrades for the C2 planned. Will UK owners be able to get these upgrades?

1) Re DTS Matrix and Discrete - err, yes, I think so. But are there any DTS Discrete DVDs out there?

2) 10 year parts. Haven't a clue, but just ask your dealer.

3) Hardware upgrades. Again, you need to ask your dealer, but I am not aware of any planned hardware upgrades for the C2.

Re your earlier question, I can confirm that the Parasound components you are interested in are fanless.

Phil

Philly112 said:
1) Re DTS Matrix and Discrete - err, yes, I think so. But are there any DTS Discrete DVDs out there?

Quite a few, yes - mostly Region 1 DTS titles.

2) 10 year parts. Haven't a clue, but just ask your dealer.

3) Hardware upgrades. Again, you need to ask your dealer, but I am not aware of any planned hardware upgrades for the C2.

Re your earlier question, I can confirm that the Parasound components you are interested in are fanless.

Phil

chambeaj said:
However, are the power amps truely turned off, or are they simply put into a standby state? if in standby mode then what is the power consumption when in standby?
The power consumption of the A52 and A23 amps in stand-by is the same as the A51 and A21, which is 25 Watts for each.

chambeaj said:
No, only two years for the UK.

I wouldnt expect any hardware updates for the Parasound or for any high end processor now. With the new surround formats around the corner everyhing will be old tech within a couple of years.

Even the mighty Lex MC12 is on its last legs - they now have a trade in programme for the version with HDMI.

rags said:
Even the mighty Lex MC12 is on its last legs - they now have a trade in programme for the version with HDMI.
Yes, I agree and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a brand new model was launched in a year or so when the new audio formats settle down.

As far as I can tell, the HD version is an MC-12V5 with HDMI switching - or have I missed something?

If HDMI switching is the only additional feature of the HD model, then that would make it quite an expensive HDMI switching device from the trade-in programme point of view.

Steve Zodiac said:
Yes, I agree and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a brand new model was launched in a year or so when the new audio formats settle down.

As far as I can tell, the HD version is an MC-12V5 with HDMI switching - or have I missed something?

If HDMI switching is the only additional feature of the HD model, then that would make it quite an expensive HDMI switching device from the trade-in programme point of view.

It is as far as I know. Not sure of the cost of the part exchange programme but it sounds like it will be expensive for what it offers (only HDMI afaik).

I was thinking wouldnt it be lovely if they implement a one cable solution between processors and power amps ie one wire instead of 7 interconnects. All this cabling needs to be reduced. HDMI for power amps ??

Your right but it would still be a good solution.

On a seperate note, I have just been replaced my A51 with an LX7 - standing side by side the LX7 looks like a minnow in comparison. A lot lighter as well. I am going to set up the whole system today - SPL metre will be put to good use!!!

Did you ever compare the A51 to the LX-7? My initial thought was to get all Lexicon gear, but a lot of advice I received was to go for the Lexicon pre/pro with the Parasound amps. I'd be interested in what you thought of the differences.

I know recruit likes his LX-7 after he had the A51, but I seem to recall the physical size of two Halo's was a big factor with him in his decision to go for the Lexicon one-box solution..

Steve - I had another listen today the MC8 / A51 combo before I unhooked it. I am currently setting up the LX7 and will report back with the differences.

The Halo A51 / A21 are truly massive and reassuringly heavy - the box for the A51 says 94lbs on it!! I went for the LX7 not because I was dissapointed with it - far from it in fact. I wanted to go 7.1 and simply don't have the space in my cabinet for another massive amp. I though about the smaller two channel Halo amp but even that would have been a tight squeeze. I just bought a new Arca cabinet to replace my old ones and am have reinstalled the whole set up today. My builders have been helping as well as they are intrigued by the set up - one of them neatly cut out a couple of small slices from the back panel of the new cabinet - the Arca is only 18" deep and American amps with the grab handles tend to be 19". Very helpful chappies.

dts_boy said:

You wont believe what I get on average as a quarterly electricity bill. In fact its traumatic even thinking about it :mad:

Steve Zodiac said:
I know recruit likes his LX-7 after he had the A51, but I seem to recall the physical size of two Halo's was a big factor with him in his decision to go for the Lexicon one-box solution..

Yep the size was a problem for me but the MC4/LX7 & M&K sound awsome together, the Parasound was nice but the Lex combo has a more exciteing sound than the A51 gave but the detail and refinement was still intact too...hopefully i will hang on to the LX7 and when Lexicon bring out a new range of processors then i will change the MC4 but that probably won't be for a while yet...:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom