Parasound Halo C3 - new HD processor

rags

Prominent Member
Reaction score
May have been posted before. Seems to have all the bells and whistles. The link also has details of their upcoming Classic range HD processor and a new HD receiver.

Preview of Coming Attractions

Given my experience with the C2, I am eagerly awaiting it's release. I have already placed my order (well verbally anyway)! Price point should be around £2.5k in the UK.

I worry about these smaller audio companies being able to cope with the complexities of a modern AV processor. It looks nice though.

I'd heard the distribution has changed. Can you say where you ordered from and did they say when they're expected? Thanks.

I'd heard the distribution has changed. Can you say where you ordered from and did they say when they're expected? Thanks.

I think they have recently appointed a new distributor in the UK. I ordered (I guess "just get me one" counts as an order!) from a firendly stateside dealer that I know very well. He is coming back to me on approximate release date.

Ok called him. I'm a but dissapointed. Parasound have confirmed a release date of January 2009 so its a good 3 month wait. Knowing Parasound they will have a few "delays".

Ok called him. I'm a but dissapointed. Parasound have confirmed a release date of January 2009 so its a good 3 month wait. Knowing Parasound they will have a few "delays".

Any chance you could PM me the price you could get one from the States for?

I think this is going to be the one for me to replace my Linn Kisto. The Parasound pre/pros have a switching power supply AFAIK so US models should work here, I expect you already realise that.

I believe the C3 is going to sell at 'under $3500'. The C2 was $4000, and £3000 at Stone Audio here in the UK so I'm guessing the C3 will come in at £2700 at Stone Audio.

I presume you are expecting a big performance boost over the PR-SC886?

Thanks,

Paul

Any chance you could PM me the price you could get one from the States for?

I think this is going to be the one for me to replace my Linn Kisto. The Parasound pre/pros have a switching power supply AFAIK so US models should work here, I expect you already realise that.

I believe the C3 is going to sell at 'under $3500'. The C2 was $4000, and £3000 at Stone Audio here in the UK so I'm guessing the C3 will come in at £2700 at Stone Audio.

I presume you are expecting a big performance boost over the PR-SC886?

Thanks,

Paul

Yes I understand it will have an automatic switch mode power supply. If you order a US model, only the supplied mains cable needs replacing.

Hoping for good things from the C3 but in terms of processing, not sure how much of an advantage there is to gain from high end models rather than mass produced stuff. Time will tell I guess.

It looks the biz

Agreed - it looks absolutely gorgeous. However, I've just taken delivery of my PR-SC886, so the salivating stops now!!

I love the look of the Halo kit, and would be interesting to see how it compares to the Onkyo !

The Halo looks gorgeous but probably just too expensive for me...

I'm looking to replace my Tag AV32R Dual Processor, and haven't gone for the Audiolab 8000AP because of teh lack of room correction.

This may have been what I was waiting for, but we're back up in TAG costs land!

What's the difference between the Halo C3 and the HDP70? Is it likely to simply be a case of slightly lower spec components and no XLR inputs/outputs? (which I don't need anyway!)

What's the likely price of the HDP70 do people think... Maybe this is what I should be looking forwards to?!

Thanks for the clarification Rags. As I need an HD amp sooner than that, that will probably rule me out considering it but does look a nice piece of kit.

maj74 said:
What's the difference between the Halo C3 and the HDP70? Is it likely to simply be a case of slightly lower spec components and no XLR inputs/outputs? (which I don't need anyway!)

What's the likely price of the HDP70 do people think... Maybe this is what I should be looking forwards to?!
Looking at the back panel would suggest all three models share the same basic design. The US price I saw suggested for the HDP70 on another forum would have put the price in pounds at current exchange rates below that of the Onkyo pre amp :)

If the only difference between the Halo C3 and the HDP70 is the black and silver cases (and size of) and the lack of XLR sockets (which are virtually unused in the UK to my understanding, and the processing of the 2 units will be of the same quality, then the potential difference in price seems to me that its the HDP70 we should all be getting excited about rather than the Halo C3.

If the only difference between the Halo C3 and the HDP70 is the black and silver cases (and size of) and the lack of XLR sockets (which are virtually unused in the UK to my understanding, and the processing of the 2 units will be of the same quality, then the potential difference in price seems to me that its the HDP70 we should all be getting excited about rather than the Halo C3.

Depends upon your point of view. The legacy processor that I recently bought has XLRs and I was surprised at the improvement gained from using them. I know that it is dependant upon how well both the processor and amp that it's paired are designed to work in balanced mode, but certainly in my case, I now wouldn't buy a newer processor unless it supported balanced mode.

The XLR sockets are of important to a number of people in the UK including myself.
I do agree that the $1000 difference in asking price between the the C3 and the HD70 is way too much. Too much extra to pay for balanced outs and a fancy case. They will probably throw in a few more goodies with the C3 - possibly two remotes like they did with the C2 (one simple and the other full learning with lcd display). Lets hope they see sense before pricing is finalised but tbh I think they have to establish a substantial price difference between the two for marketing purposes.

The XLR sockets are of important to a number of people in the UK including myself. .

Me too. My amps have balanced inputs only, and I have 11m cable runs from processor to power amps.

Paul

11m cable runs from processor to power amps.

That's where balanced really makes a difference I believe, with long cable runs.

A true balanced design would require double the amount of circuits, because + and - are seperated. If there is a significant increase in price from a single ended to an XLR version, you have a big chance getting a true balanced internal design, and not a pseudo- balanced termination.
Just a thought.

I think they have recently appointed a new distributor in the UK. I ordered (I guess "just get me one" counts as an order!) from a firendly stateside dealer that I know very well. He is coming back to me on approximate release date.

Do you know who the UK distributor is?

Does anyone know the $ price of a A51?

They certainly look very interesting but why only one HDMI output...stuuupid :thumbsdow

Adam

They certainly look very interesting but why only one HDMI output...stuuupid :thumbsdow

Adam

Adam - Specs are still being finalised but I think it unlikely that another HDMI out can be accomodated at this late stage. Doesnt impact me as I only need one output but I can understand how this is a significant omission for some people.

I only have one display myself but I would like another at some point. It seems so obvious, I don't know how they can leave out such feature :(

The 886 certainly seems to have the jump on these in terms of features but I would probably still opt for the Para if the SQ is noticeably better. I also prefer the smaller box and less legacy inputs :smashin: The C3 is 'pee-your-pants' sexy but in all honesty looks don't bother me as much as peformance.

Looking forward to more info as it becomes available :)

Thanks,

Adam

EDIT: Rags can I have first dibs on your 886 come January? :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom