1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parasound A52 or 2205?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by thxgoon, Nov 25, 2004.

1. thxgoon

thxgoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone here have any actual experience with either of these two amps? I just ordered the A52 and I'm having second thoughts. Going from a 140 watt denon receiver to a 125 watt power amp with current hungry 4 ohm speakers, do you think I'd be better off finding a quality used 2205? Anybody used both? Thanks.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    A Denon versus a Parasound :laugh: :rotfl: :laugh: :rotfl: :laugh: The current delivery on the Parasound will blow the Denon away mate, have no fear! Integrated amplifier power output figures are nearly always greatly exaggerated or inaccurate :thumbsup: The power output rating for the Parasound will be with all channels driven and will probably be a conservative estimate at that :smashin:

3. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I thought Parasound were budget items ... but good!

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Budget!? You must have a pretty big wallet if you consider Parasound budget. I would consider them affordable high end :thumbsup:

5. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
  6. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hehe, not quite budget :)

I love my A52 and i'm sure you will too....and it looks soooo nice!

CaM

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Those little speakers are certainly budget items,but the amps,from the HCA series to the Halo line are certainly not budget items,with the top line amps topping out in the £4k+ bracket.

Very well made,good sound and load tolerance....will have no problems with 4 ohm loads.

8. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

Yep Parasound power amp would not normally be considered budget even the good old 2205 retailed at £2.5K

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The Parasound amps are top performers. The A52 will eat the Denon for breakfast when it come to driving speakers and sound quality. I have an A51 and you can sense the power in the room !

The A52 should drive most speakers quite comfortably (I have heard it driving Nautilus 803's) but if you are particularly concerned / your speakers are a nightmare load and you cant stetch to the A51, the 2205 is the way to go. At current second hand prices it is a cracking buy.

Oh one other thing - Parasound have recently announced a complete revamp of the "classic" series - they are coming out in the next few weeks - something you may want to look into as they are supposed to be substantially cheaper than the Halo line and you might just sneak in the new version of the 2205 at only slightly more than the cost of the A52 (im guessing here).

10. thxgoon

thxgoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags, where did you hear this information about the new classic line coming out so soon? I heard it was coming, but as of yet have heard of no date. Ah well, the A52 is on it's way, we shall see how it does. I can't wait.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I went from a Denon A1-SE to a parasound hca-855a and that was a big jump, then went to a 2205 and that was even bigger, then got greedy and went for a Cinepro 3k6. And if anything it just made me realise how good the Parasound stuff is for the money.

Enjoy!! ;)

12. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Gizlaroc

How do you find the Cinepro 3k6 compares to the 2205

Many thanks

RON

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    The cinepro is very good, there is just so much headroom you are never really pushing it, I am using it with an MC8 and a 568.2 before that, and even at -0db it still doesn't break a sweat, it is just very, very, very loud.
    I seriously think it will be my last power amp.
    The 2205 is excellent though and it was only because one of the cinepros turned up and I had heard a friends on numerous occassions that I decided to change.
    Would I have speant £4k on a new cinepro over £2.5k on a new 2205? It would have been hard to justify.
    Would I spend £2k on a used cinepro instead of £1k on a used 2205? definitely!

The reason I have not really been on the forums for the last 6 months or so is, since having the MC8/cinepro combo I have, for the first time ever, been completely happy with my system, don't realy know how I could get it any better without spending ridiculous amounts of money.
    I know I could get better speakers, but I know what I am after and when a set appear I will grab them, I could go out and spend thousands but I don't want to do that, so I will hold out.

14. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Parasound Halo A21 to drive your fronts, and the Halo A51 to drive your Center and Surrounds.

"Heaven.............I'm in Heaven........" :laugh: :D

15. Henry

Henry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Interested to know what speaker set you're after?