1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parasound a23 or quad 99

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Daxman, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Daxman

Daxman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi very new to the forum running a pioneer ax3 with monitor audio all round. Not over impressed so far and want to add a slave amp for the front but cant decide between the parasound and quad to run monitor audio radius 225.
    Any help would be appreciated.

42"plasma, pioneer565 dvd, pioneer ax3 amp, MA R225 front and centre, MA R90 rear and MA R360 sub. Sliver anniversary cable and ixos interconnects

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daxman,

There is one thing that the AX3 is not very good at and that is stereo, it is a very good home cinema amp but lacks authority when playing back 2 channel material.
    With regards to your choices of power amps i have not heard the parasound but i know alot of people on this forum highly recommend them, i have heard the Quad very breifly and it would be a massive improvement to the AX3 it will give alot more depth to the music and more dynamics which I think you are missing in the AX3.

BTW: I would also consider a Cyrus smartpower very potent and clever amp

John :)

3. Daxman

Daxman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John will def look at the cyrus. Will it be ok with the MA R225s.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daxman i don't see that there should be any problems with the MA's the Cyrus kit has alot of current and power even though there specs only state 60w per channel they sound a hell of alot bigger, i run my Proacs with 1 smartpower and 7 amp which are bi amped to feed the speakers but the levels of volume is quite amazing you can also switch them so that they then become mono blocks with 110w into 8ohms i intend to maybe get another and use my 7 as a preamp and 2 mono blocks to feed my speakers which has been recommended and will give me an even better sound than i have now :smashin:

5. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    My 2011 sounds very good to me paired with a Parasound power amp. I tried an ATC CA2 and a MF A3.2 pre in my system. Both of these sounded a little different to the Pioneer but neither was definitively better to my ears.

On the amp issue I haven't heard the Quad but I have heard the A23, it's a very nice amp the only thing I would say is not to pair it with bright speakers.

6. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daneel.

How's the Parasound running? I believe it arrived OK.

Cheers, Gerald. :)

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,592
    Daxman

A quick plug for the Flying Mole DAD-M100proHT Power Amplifiers we have on offer in the Power Buy section.

Very small, very efficient (virtually Zero heat output) and very nice sounding.

See http://www.flyingmole.co.jp/en/products/dadm100pro/index.html

I have to ask - Have you actually Heard the RA225 sounding good in a Stereo set up? - I'm not overly familiar with them but do wonder if throwing more cash at additional amplification is ever going to turn a 'lifestyle' plasma speaker into a full range 'HiFi' speaker.

Best regards

Joe

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Daneel,

I'm sure it does useing the Parasound as the amp, but my opinion was based upon a dem that i had purely with the pioneer at a mates house in 2 channel,
    The bass just did not have the control that i am used too.

9. Daxman

Daxman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a very good question joe? was thinking that i should have bought the MA270 instead but they do work well on movies(and they do look good next to the plasma).
    cheers Daxman

10. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi daxman i have a23+3802+dyn audio 62 for fronts , i find for av use the a23 does give impact, but for sterio find the 3802 is slightly warmer sounding than with the a23 in place.

even if i use the a23 with my older mordaunt short speakers which are less detailed /bright than dyns or bw 600s3 , i think its the slightly bright/detailed nature of the a23 itself.