Parasound 200 pre sound quality?

m1964

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need an advice on sound quality of Parasound 200 Pre. I need a pre-amp to integrate a sub with my powered speakers.

So far, I tried MiniDSP 2x4HD and Emotiva BassX PT-100 pre-amps.

I found the following problem with both units: they change the sound quality.

When comparing sound that I get from the speakers using direct optical line from Roku, to the sound I hear when using a pre-amp, both pre-amps degrade the sound quality.

MiniDSP 2x4HD changes sound character somewhat and seems to shift balance, occasionally. The sound is just not as pleasant comparing to the sound when speakers are connected directly to Roku.

With Emotiva PT-100, I found that it changes the sound stage: it becomes less defined comparing to the sound stage from speakers connected directly to Roku.
When I say "less defined", I mean that when I am listening to the speakers connected without the -pre-amp, I can close my eyes and still hear where the instrument is located on the stage (or soprano singer in relation to bass singer).
When listening to the same speakers connected through Emotiva, that definitive feeling goes away. In addition, the sound loses its clarity somewhat.

For example: I was listening to classical music and, while listening to the speakers connected directly, I could hear the double bass on the left side of the stage.
When listening through Emotiva, I could not tell where exactly on the stage the double bass was.

I'd like to know if anyone is using Parasound 200 Pre and what you think/feel about it.

Thanks a lot for reading my long post.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I need an advice on sound quality of Parasound 200 Pre. I need a pre-amp to integrate a sub with my powered speakers.

So far, I tried MiniDSP 2x4HD and Emotiva BassX PT-100 pre-amps.

I found the following problem with both units: they change the sound quality.

When comparing sound that I get from the speakers using direct optical line from Roku, to the sound I hear when using a pre-amp, both pre-amps degrade the sound quality.

MiniDSP 2x4HD changes sound character somewhat and seems to shift balance, occasionally. The sound is just not as pleasant comparing to the sound when speakers are connected directly to Roku.

With Emotiva PT-100, I found that it changes the sound stage: it becomes less defined comparing to the sound stage from speakers connected directly to Roku.
When I say "less defined", I mean that when I am listening to the speakers connected without the -pre-amp, I can close my eyes and still hear where the instrument is located on the stage (or soprano singer in relation to bass singer).
When listening to the same speakers connected through Emotiva, that definitive feeling goes away. In addition, the sound loses its clarity somewhat.

For example: I was listening to classical music and, while listening to the speakers connected directly, I could hear the double bass on the left side of the stage.
When listening through Emotiva, I could not tell where exactly on the stage the double bass was.

I'd like to know if anyone is using Parasound 200 Pre and what you think/feel about it.

Thanks a lot for reading my long post.
I have been using my Parasound THX POWER AMP 1kilowatt output, with my Marantz AV8003 DTS master, true blue etc for BLURAY MOVIES for many years and now about to sell the amp

thanks- I don't need the amp. w/ powered speakers

The Parasound Pre is a stereo preamp, but this is the AV Pre/Processor forum (so 7.1 and above). You'll undoubtedly get more responses if you post in the HI FI Separates area.

There are very few stereo preamplifiers with bass management. A better option in many cases is a subwoofer with bass management. This is inserted between the stereo preamplifier and the power amplifier and can yield excellent results.

The MiniDSP is the usual alternative if the budget is limited.

There are some 2.1 AVRs (Lyngdorf, Arcam), but I'm not aware of any 2.1 AVP.

I had a Parasound P5 pre for a while. I believe the 200 inherits quite a bit from that older model, or at least has a lot of similarities.

These Parasound Pres are very well specced units, and the bass management feature is super useful, especially when integrating it as part of a combined 2 channel and multi--channel set up.

However, as they are so feature packed, the general consensus is that they do everything very well, but not as well as discrete, dedicated units might. So, for example, while it has a DAC and a Phono Stage and all the rest, if you were to get separate, dedicated DACs and Phonos stages, you might have better overall performance.

This is what I found with my P5. It was good at everything, but not excellent at anything.

What you describe is something of a collapse in you soundstage. I would think this is likely due to the quality of the DAC in your speakers being better than that in any of thye other devices you've tried.

You can only hope to try the Pre 200 in your set up ad return it if it' not what you want. Or invest in a top quality external DAC to go with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom