Quantcast

Parasite Review & Comments

Countjedi

At long last an international film wins best picture.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Just ordered this last night from jbhi, I'm sure it will be here before April lol..past experience normally takes around 2 weeks.
Thanks for the review Cas...I remember the first time I watched the original oldboy...and whilst the films are unrelated...I've got a feeling I'm going to have that blown away feeling again with this movie which I haven't seen yet.

BMox81

Distinguished Member
Everyone jumping on the bandwagon and rightfully so - absolutely amazing film from start to finish.

Talgo

Coulson

At long last an international film wins best picture.
Parasite deserved the award, it was my best film of the year. I haven't seen 1917 but from what I have read it's an amazing technical achievement and a decent film but not much else. My other best film of the year was Joker and "maybe" voters did not want to give that film the award. Considering how under represented people of colour were, this was a smart move as it shifts the conversation.

Anyway bottom line is that either film would have been a deserving winner but probably the better film won the award.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
Parasite deserved the award, it was my best film of the year. I haven't seen 1917 but from what I have read it's an amazing technical achievement and a decent film but not much else. My other best film of the year was Joker and "maybe" voters did not want to give that film the award. Considering how under represented people of colour were, this was a smart move as it shifts the conversation.

Anyway bottom line is that either film would have been a deserving winner but probably the better film won the award.
I HAVE seen 1917 (and Parasite, Joker) and you are correct about your assumption there.

I'd have been OK with either Parasite or Joker winning best movie as they are my favourite movies of 2019, but I'm glad Parasite got the win and made history with it.

Wedlock

Ill probably get attacked by the fanboys but i didnt like Parasite either.
It may be original in some parts but for me it didnt do anything.
His other films didnt do it for me either so i wasnt expecting much to begin with, for me it was only slightly better than his other films.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coulson

Ill probably get attacked by the fanboys but i didnt like Parasite either.
It may be original in some parts but for me it didnt do anything.
His other films didnt do it for me either so i wasnt expecting much to begin with, for me it was only slightly better than his other films.
You didn't like the film? Wow! :eek: ;)
Personal preference rules. Of course there is a part of me that doesn't understand how you can't see the genius of this film. Everything about it from the production design to the script, the direction and the acting are almost perfection for me. But then the other part of me likes Godzilla KOTM, The Meg and 6 Underground so personal preference rules :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RedDevil85

Distinguished Member
What a right royal bloody shafting we're getting over here with this film.

Hopefully it might get bumped forward.

Also looks like there's a black and white cinema release coming soon for this. But just how many places will show it I wonder. Hopefully it might make it onto a blu-ray.
It may well do as the steelbook edition currently states it includes the Theatrical Cut and Black & White Cut (2 discs). The regular edition doesn't yet and only states 1 disc but it's early days for confirmation seeing as it's not out until June here so we'll see.

Supafly Boy

I wonder if this is gonna get a 4K HDR release. Ive noticed a lot of international movies never seem to get a 4K release.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
I wonder if this is gonna get a 4K HDR release. Ive noticed a lot of international movies never seem to get a 4K release.
It's getting a 4K release in France (probably French subtitles only though), so we may get an English friendly version from somewhere down the line. Winning best picture and best director Oscars probably doesn't hurt its chances :)

Garioch

I think it may be possible using a movies anywhere account. Either Fandango or Vudu has a 4K UHD stream.

terencejames

Honestly, I'm not sure what I think. It's certainly a movie of two halves and I thought it took a while to get going. By the time we get into the final third though, I was thoroughly enjoying it.

Panavision

I think the film was about the spread of American capitalism and how it has depressed cultural history into insignificance, or it [capitalism] has so engulfed our lives that we longer attribute any value to its origins. They used a lot of American cultural props, like the teepee, the native costume, and I suppose the rock is also significant because even a scared piece of land is used to help accumulate wealth, albeit through superstition.

The rich family have no idea about American history, hence why they wear the costumes at the party. It was offensive, which was the point the writer/director was making.

When one character wakes up in hospital, a detective reads him his Miranda rights. Another example of an American export.

Need to see it again for more takeaways. :D

Diagnosticz

I have not watched the Oscars for a few years now, I mostly feel let down by the nominations and the winners. I Have always felt the Oscars have ignored international cinema and films like Parasite I am glad a Korean film got finally recognized and deservedly so.

I have seen many foreign films that outshine what Hollywood have to offer in that particular year especially South Korean.

I hope this is not a one off and the Oscars are not being political by showing the world that they are not biased towards there own.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I have not watched the Oscars for a few years now, I mostly feel let down by the nominations and the winners. I Have always felt the Oscars have ignored international cinema and films like Parasite I am glad a Korean film got finally recognized and deservedly so.

I have seen many foreign films that outshine what Hollywood have to offer in that particular year especially South Korean.

I hope this is not a one off and the Oscars are not being political by showing the world that they are not biased towards there own.
I agree in principle, but it's natural to have a bias towards your own. Much like how 1917 cleaned up at the baftas. I have no doubt that the South Korean film industry has its own awards ceremonies that US films aren't often nominated in.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Place your bets on how long it'll be before the Hollywood remake...

Stockholm

Distinguished Member
Actually couldn't get into this when I tried watching it last month. Watched the first, oh, hour or so and felt it was intriguing and fun but a little fluffy and lacking in bite and... conflict? Something along those lines. But tuned back in recently and thought the long setup was well worth it once a certain character and meddler arrives on the scene to agitate the situation.

Technically brilliant with lots of ideas to pour over, much like his multi-layered but fun work in Snowpiercer. Nobody comes out of this smelling of roses with the harshest denouncement being against the system and the barriers it places in front of capable people causing suffering - on both sides - and unnecessary conflict. In other words, class warfare but told in a fun and engaging manner.

Amar1

Place your bets on how long it'll be before the Hollywood remake...
Does a HBO TV spin-off limited series created by the director count?

Last edited:

Sandyb01

Saw Parasite yesterday, knowing little to nothing of the story in advance.
Remarkable film, all the more for telling a rich and complex story in little over 2 hours.

The initial impression is that Parasite belongs in the conversation of the best handful of films this century, alongside works like Moonlight, Boyhood, No Country for Old Men, Pans Labyrinth etc, or some of Paul Thomas Andersons work.

Whether the impact of Parasite will linger over the coming years remains to be seen, but for now this can be the only conclusion, given the near rapturous reception its had.