Parasite Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Your review is short because this is simply the best film of the year or at worst tied with Joker. As you say in your review, this film draws you in pretty early on although for me personally I was drawn in right from the opening shots, even before the premise is made clear. I would also say that this film starts stronger than it finishes, but that's only because the setup is so brilliant. The finish is slightly less brilliant lol. Joker is the reverse and is much more of a slow burn.

Bottom line, a superb film 9.5/10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice one 👍

Seemingly positive reviews everywhere you look. Showing at my local Showcase next week this one so i think i’ll make an effort to go and see.

I've seen some talk saying there might be a tad more than an outside chance of this winning Best Picture. Seems to just be universally accepted as brilliant.

Wouldn't put any money on it mind, but can't wait to see it.

What little plot was mentioned is still too much. I went in completely blind, and it was a terrific experience. Everything is exquisite. The production design and score, in particular, real highlights. Both of which complimenting the class divide thematic beautifully.

What little plot was mentioned is still too much. I went in completely blind, and it was a terrific experience. Everything is exquisite. The production design and score, in particular, real highlights. Both of which complimenting the class divide thematic beautifully.
I kept hearing about the film a while back, even before it opened in widely in the US. One scene in particular with the weird indoor toilet made it became a film I knew I was going to see no matter what. I might go to the cinema for this one as it should make an interesting experience.

2019 was a very interesting year for the kind of films coming to our attention. Parasite, Joker, Lighthouse and even the Nightingale. (Not forgetting of course 6 Underground :eek:)

Not sure where else I'd seen a review and thought, I'd give it a try....

It's a bit easy to read initially, but that was ok. A good twist that you don't expect and two other points you really don't expect with a good finish....

Overall, I'd go 8.5. It's a really good film.

Thanks Cas, hopefully I'll get to see it soon and the less I know about the plot the better. Giving it a 9 is high praise indeed and a must see from the sounds of it.

Watched this a couple of weeks back, havn't read your review Cas but agree with your score, simply put this is well worth watching if you're any kind of film fan.

I've seen some talk saying there might be a tad more than an outside chance of this winning Best Picture. Seems to just be universally accepted as brilliant.

Wouldn't put any money on it mind, but can't wait to see it.
I think it will win original screenplay rather than picture, to go with foreign language.

Cheers for the review Cas :smashin:

Caught the Cineworld Unlimited preview of this brilliant social satire the other week might go for an encore after reading the early feedback for Birds Of Prey and Underwater, just a pity that BoP is hogging all the Superscreens in my neck of the woods so Parasite is only showing in bog standard auditoria :facepalm:

I still haven’t watched Snowpiercer but see that it’s on Amazon Prime, so have added it to my watch list.

Trying to keep my expectations low here, because I'm someone who thought The Host, Snowpiercer & Okja were vastly overrated.

It's difficult though, this really does sound good...

For once I agree with one of Cas’s reviews. Simply put this movie is a masterpiece 🙌🏾

Loved this, the atmosphere was incredible.

Totally agree Cas. Went in totally blind and had to watch over 2 nights the tension was so intense at some points. Incredible atmosphere, stunning cinematography and brilliant acting. Cannot stop thinking about it.

In my top ten of movies 2019.
Definitely agree with Cas.
Brilliant film.

It was pretty good. I'd caution people on over hyping before going in though . It'll leave you thinking and there's some exceptional cinematography - but it's also pretty bloody weird and where some elements are overly fleshed out others leave you wanting more.

I'd say we preferred The Joker's structure but both were well worth a watch.

Thanks Cas great review. Being a fan of Korean cinema I have seen lots of Kang-song's movies Memories of Murder, Thirst, Good the bad and the Weird The host

This is another great movie that he stars in I saw this a while back and I loved it it's well written and has an original plot

Agree with the 9

Agree entirely with everything said. Fabulous film from start to finish with great cinematography. Acting was terrific, screenplay absorbing and for me this has to be the number one film by Bong Joon Ho thus far. Up there with the best films of last year hands down.

Last edited:
One of the best films over the past 4-5 years, absolutely stunning in every way. Seen it twice already.

This film literally defines modern day classic.

Going to watch this over the weekend. Looking forward to it but also slightly nervous as I thought Snowpiercer was absolute garbage. That movie just didn't click for me at all

For anyone who enjoys this then I would recommend “Shoplifters”, the 2018 Japanese film by Hirokazu Kore-eda, as an equally superb companion piece. Whilst they’re not the same as such, there are many similar themes and equally great story telling, acting and twisty drama.

Going to watch this over the weekend. Looking forward to it but also slightly nervous as I thought Snowpiercer was absolute garbage. That movie just didn't click for me at all
It has a very different feel and story to Snowpiercer (but I do highly rate both movies)

Very slightly off topic, I see region B blurays of these are on ebay. At £20, it's not much difference from a cinema visit overall, but wondered if anyone has brought a copy and all's ok with the subtitles?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom