Parasite aka Gisaengchung (2019) directed by Bong Joon-ho

Rate me

• Total voters
I‘ve ordered the Region B Aussie (I think) blu-ray from eBay.

I’ve not watched many Korean movies since the industry’s post millennium boom and Park Chan Wook was the dog’s very naughty bits.

Should be going to the Odeon not too far from mine on Friday, but if it is the powerhouse everyone says it is, no way will I be waiting till bloody June for a UK blu.

Although I do really fancy the black and white offering that's rumoured to be coming.

I'll keep saying it sorry, but absolutely furious at the shafting we've had in this country with regards to this film. Having to wait till June as well (at the moment) for an official UK home viewing release.

Bonkers. Heads have gone quite clearly.
I totally understand your frustration with this but, as I understand it, Curzon decided to hold back the release until the awards season as the CEO had a hunch it would do very well at the Oscars, BAFTAs etc and they could latch onto that momentum for the theatrical release (being handled by Studio Canal due to the scale of it), which is getting the full 16 week window because the big chains won't show it otherwise - and also why isn't out on Blu until June.

Whether this is a situation everyone is happy with is a matter of personal opinion but it clearly hasn't hurt its box office takings, so the gamble paid off.

More info here: ‘Parasite’ set for 200% screen boost in UK following Oscar win

Should be going to the Odeon not too far from mine on Friday, but if it is the powerhouse everyone says it is, no way will I be waiting till bloody June for a UK blu.

Although I do really fancy the black and white offering that's rumoured to be coming.

I thought that Parasite would be a movie best viewed in HDR with Atmos tbh

However it don’t look like it’s getting shown in any of the Superscreen / ISENSE / XPLUS / IMPACT auditoria at multiplexes in my neck of the woods, so might save my encore for the B&W release!

I’ve not watched many Korean movies since the industry’s post millennium boom and Park Chan Wook was the dog’s very naughty bits.
I hope you've seen The Handmaiden?!? For me, that was better than Parasite (both great tho)

I'm itching to re-watch that, especially post-Parasite. Going to be the extended version this time.
My dad still has my Blu - going to have to give him a kick because I also need a re-watch soon.

I have it on blu but not gotten around to watching it!
Yeah I can relate, I've had Tale of Two Sisters on Blu for well over a year un-watched, but it's much easier to stream these days than mess about with discs and players :D

You should. Let's just say there's probably a reason why Robo's dad hasn't given back the disc yet :D
Yeah I can relate, I've had Tale of Two Sisters on Blu for well over a year un-watched, but it's much easier to stream these days than mess about with discs and players :D

Agree, just don’t get the time - feel like im in work more than at home. :D

Tale of Two Sisters is a good watch - loads of creep-out scenes and atmosphere!

Two Sisters was good. Unsettling and creepy.

I'm looking forward to seeing Parasite again. I reckon I must have missed tons of foreshadowing, visual metaphors and little details from my first experience with the film, especially as I abandoned it for about three or four weeks as it felt a little woolly and unsubstantial to me during the hour-long setup. Fun though but not as exciting as, say, Snowpiercer where I just had to know what was waiting for Edgar and co in the next carriage. Couldn't peel myself away from that film. Similar story with The Host back in the mid-00s.

The payoff from the long setup in Parasite is well worth it and amounts to one of the greatest ever films about class warfare and the adversarial nature of our economic system.

I'm pretty sure I bought the extended version of The Handmaiden on Google Play when it was £1.99 or something, but never watched it.

Was a good film, and probably a good time now to finally watch the extended version!

May double dip

SmartSelect_20200213-195536_Twitter.jpg

Informative, a very wet production, green screens, fake house floors etc

Was going to be titled 'Decal' originally

Last edited:
Spoilers

Structure breakdown, inspirations

It’s not up to cinemas what they show, it’s up to the distributers. A small film like Parasite will have more than likely had an exclusivity deal with independent cinemas to show it for a week or two. Then if it’s popular, the multiplex’s will get it.

It’s not up to cinemas what they show, it’s up to the distributers. A small film like Parasite will have more than likely had an exclusivity deal with independent cinemas to show it for a week or two. Then if it’s popular, the multiplex’s will get it.
Not in the case of Parasite, which has a full 16 week theatrical window in the UK, so it is then partly up to the multiplexes if they want to have it, which they now clearly do. My local Cineworld (Wandsworth) has had it playing since the 7th, for example.

If Curzon had elected to have the film on their Curzon Home Cinema VoD service at the same time, then Odeon, Cineworld and the like wouldn't be showing it at all. The only place you would then be able to see it theatrically would be Curzon's own cinemas and other indie sites. This is Curzon's first release since The Handmaiden to have a full theatrical window.

For those interested, here's an interview with Curzon's CEO about the UK release strategy...

Not in the case of Parasite, which has a full 16 week theatrical window in the UK, so it is then partly up to the multiplexes if they want to have it, which they now clearly do. My local Cineworld (Wandsworth) has had it playing since the 7th, for example.

If Curzon had elected to have the film on their Curzon Home Cinema VoD service at the same time, then Odeon, Cineworld and the like wouldn't be showing it at all. The only place you would then be able to see it theatrically would be Curzon's own cinemas and other indie sites. This is Curzon's first release since The Handmaiden to have a full theatrical window.

For those interested, here's an interview with Curzon's CEO about the UK release strategy...

I had noticed that all of the cinema chains near me are showing this. Not just the single independent cinema. Delighted that Parasite has reached mainstream audiences. :)

Eventually. My showing yesterday afternoon was still quite empty, but imagine the evening and this weekend's showings would be quite busy.

It was still shoved though on the smallest screen at the Odeon I went to.

Eventually. My showing yesterday afternoon was still quite empty, but imagine the evening and this weekend's showings would be quite busy.

It was still shoved though on the smallest screen at the Odeon I went to.
Yup, Parasite is playing at most of the multiplexes in my neck of the woods but looks like the only 4K with Dolby Atmos showings in the UK are Derby, Epsom and Edinburgh.

Would’ve liked to have done an encore but not sure I’ll bother if it’s going to be in a bog standard auditorium which is even smaller than that I saw the Unlimited preview in!

562E9690-1825-4060-9BC5-443620BFD3C4.jpeg

4633DD13-FF06-40F1-ABEB-B3842E26D887.jpeg

Yeah I might sneak the Blu in earlier than June for another viewing. I don't feel the need to visit the cinema again, as you say it'll only be on a small standard screen.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom