Parasite 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

nickj1000

A clever film which overall held my attention. A score of 7 I think is about right. Acting is exceptional and an interesting storyline. Thanks for the review

TarPot

Thanks for the review @Simon Crust

I actually liked Parasite more on 2nd viewing, I'll pick this up on 4K disc.

Memories Of Murder is my favourite Bong Joon Ho film.

gadget man

NO great loss B/W not understand the fascination with that latest craze Mad Max Fury Road,Logan. We live in the world of colour what next going back to silent movies.

keithwiggins

good review thanks, really enjoyed ojka and more so host this was good but not good enough.

Kotatsu Neko

Suspended
"It may not be Bong Jong-Ho's best film". Well... the Academy would disagree, as would I. And only 8 for the movie? For shame.

Parasite is the very definition of a masterpiece, it's an instant classic, a film which is essentially flawless. The way it moves from genre to genre so seamlessly, and by the end of what is a pretty crazy ride you think back at the humble beginnings and admire the mastery on display. I've seen most of Bong's movie's and this is easily his best work in my opinion.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
"It may not be Bong Jong-Ho's best film". Well... the Academy would disagree, as would I. And only 8 for the movie? For shame.

Parasite is the very definition of a masterpiece, it's an instant classic, a film which is essentially flawless. The way it moves from genre to genre so seamlessly, and by the end of what is a pretty crazy ride you think back at the humble beginnings and admire the mastery on display. I've seen most of Bong's movie's and this is easily his best work in my opinion.
Could not give a toss what the academy thinks, but this film is a masterpiece.

MonkeyM

Standard Member
Could not give a toss what the academy thinks, but this film is a masterpiece.
Thought this film was excellent also. Gripping and tense and all a bit mental with the third act.
Reminded me a bit of Old Boy, which I know is not one of his.
And a delicious set and twist like The Handmaiden (also not one of his) but Korean cinema is certainly cool. I expect now it has won an Oscar there will invariably be a Hollywood remake a few years down the line which is not as good!

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Thought this film was excellent also. Gripping and tense and all a bit mental with the third act.
Reminded me a bit of Old Boy, which I know is not one of his.
And a delicious set and twist like The Handmaiden (also not one of his) but Korean cinema is certainly cool. I expect now it has won an Oscar there will invariably be a Hollywood remake a few years down the line which is not as good!
I've watched a few Korean films. The ones I've seen all have interesting twists, Mother (Bong Joon Ho's version, not the Hollywood experiment) is the one I can remember off the top of my head. Old Boy is a classic but extremely disturbing even more so than this because the twist is sick. I still haven't got round to watching the Handmaiden yet.

BrightonChris

Distinguished Member
Masterpiece. I haven't seen any of his other films, so maybe it isn't his best work. That's some back catalogue though if it isn't.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Yep tremendous stuff this film. Seen it twice and going to make the third viewing the black and white version.

I didn't expect it to win Best Picture, but very glad it did.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
It’s a stunning film and the 4K disc is perfection. Love it and seen it 3 times now

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Masterpiece. I haven't seen any of his other films, so maybe it isn't his best work. That's some back catalogue though if it isn't.
I would say that Parasite came out at the perfect time and along with Joker was pretty much a mirror for the times we live in. Mother (again not the Hollywood one) is the only other Boon Joon Ho film I have seen. It is nothing like Parasite, it is more of a character study rather than ensemble piece. The twist at the end is just as jarring but for completely different reasons.
I didn't expect it to win Best Picture, but very glad it did.
No one did but I don't think they had the stomach to face a potential backlash if they gave it to Joker. Both films deserved the nod, either film could have won.

Last edited:

Tim2049

Very refreshing seeing this scored at 8/10. Really good film, but not the flawless masterpiece some would have you believe.

nickj1000

Very refreshing seeing this scored at 8/10. Really good film, but not the flawless masterpiece some would have you believe.
By no means flawless but certainly watchable. Sometimes films like tis one are hiked up so much though that your expectations can be too high which effects your view of it. I think I am going to watch it again having seen many people's views here

Tim2049

By no means flawless but certainly watchable. Sometimes films like tis one are hiked up so much though that your expectations can be too high which effects your view of it. I think I am going to watch it again having seen many people's views here
Very true. Expectations can make all the difference. Given the build up to this I was expecting something incredible. As it stood, I thought it was a really good, well made film...but no more than that.

This thread has also inspired a second viewing however...😉

TarPot

Very true. Expectations can make all the difference. Given the build up to this I was expecting something incredible. As it stood, I thought it was a really good, well made film...but no more than that.

This thread has also inspired a second viewing however...😉
I felt the same way on initial viewing. I really liked it, but it wasn't as good as I was expecting.

I thought it was great on a second viewing.

I put this down to the unpredictability of the film. It never did what I expected.

TarPot

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett