Paramount officially cancels all upcoming Blu-ray releases

7hil

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I notice news sites such as DVD Times and HighDefDigest are deleting details of the BluRay Paramount titles - it really amazes me how suddenly this whole move to HD DVD exclusivity has happened. I mean Paramount were clearly preparing BluRay releases of these titles - I guess they'll now be binned.

in-sane.

If i was an eccentric dvd chain store owner i'd throw all paramount stock into the street. They are damaging hd on a discs future and making this stupid 'war' into a farce

in-sane.

If i was an eccentric dvd chain store owner i'd throw all paramount stock into the street. They are damaging hd on a discs future and making this stupid 'war' into a farce

Trying to look for some (very) small positive in this whole shambles is there any chance that rather than recall existing shop stock of Blu-Rays that Paramount might financially encourage retailers to shift at the discount simply to get them off the shelves?

So do we expect their older blu-ray releases to go out of print soon?

What a shambles! I'm dual format and personally prefer HD-DVD, but this is nonsense! Still, the silver lining to that cloud is some stunning Fox titles coming in Q4.....Die Hard 1-4, Master & Commanders *drools*

Master & Commanders *drools*

Have the audio spec's been announced for this yet? There could well be structural damage from this one.:devil: Paramounts news might be good for HD-DVD, but I'm tempted to go dual sooner rather than later if the new profile 1.1 players can be had for the right price.

in-sane.

May I dare ask are you saying this from a purely objective view, given the fact that you got rid of all your HD DVD equipment earlier this year?

I am sure the retailers will be recompensed.

What does it really matter?

From my point of view I hope we'll see an almighty price/quality war with players and dual/combos to arrive at a finalised solution for both formats.

SACD/DVD-A arguments don't enter the equation here for the next five or so years IMO. The telecoms industry has a long way to go before we have a viable download solution.

Let 'em fight it out I say for the next year or so.

Both formats are no where near being adopted by the mass market.

If it ends up being dual so be it - I don't see the SACD and DVD A parts of my Denon Universal fighting. (sorry for the childish comparison)

Vive le difference!

One thing we can be sure about is that, in this war, we can't be sure about anything.

I feel I made the right choice when I decided on my path late last year - go dual format as cheeply as possible and wait for the outcome to be decided.

If someone is angry because of this decision, having sold their HD DVD equipment, then they can only be angry at themselves.

Paramount signed no contract with you. They promised nothing. We all knew about the 'war' and that this might mean 'defections'.

Steve W

This 'war' is about money. Why are people so angry that the HD DVD Group bought Paramounts support. This is business about technology in its infancy! We
are just the chumps who bought into it early. The 'war' is the fight for the masses and the masses are a long way from being won.

This 'war' is about money. Why are people so angry that the HD DVD Group bought Paramounts support. This is business about technology in its infancy! We
are just the chumps who bought into it early. The 'war' is the fight for the masses and the masses are a long way from being won.

I really dont think anybody offered anything to gain the P and DW support, its been rumoured at and extrapolated from the BD retort ...that is all.

Amir has stated that no money was paid by MS ...this is good news for BD. Seriously if MS needed to buy support, it would just take the lot (if that was legal ..lol)

May I dare ask are you saying this from a purely objective view, given the fact that you got rid of all your HD DVD equipment earlier this year?

no of course I'm not being objective. Who on a forum is genuinely objective?

I'm not annoyed because I won't get stuff on bluray, I'm annoyed because this will drag things out more.

I'm not a bluray fanboy but I am in favour of 'one format' . I just don't see this helping HD adoption generally. and this is of course raw capitalist greed at its most blunt which riles me.

and I want HD on a disc to do well, for fear of it being usurped by badly compressed 720p downloads with no lossless sound. If that happens I might as well have kept my DVDs...

SACD/DVD-A arguments don't enter the equation here for the next five or so years IMO. The telecoms industry has a long way to go before we have a viable download solution.

The reason SACD/DVD-A didn't take off, for me at any rate, despite having a player capable of playing both, so it really made no difference, is that to get the best out of them you need to be sitting down listening to them, to get the full surround effect etc... Whereas 90% of the time when I'm listening to music, I tend to have it on in the background while doing something else, or on the move, either in the car or on my Zen. So, quality-wise it's not so important, which is why portable music is much more popular.

Whereas with HD DVD (either format by definition you actually sit down to watch it on a dedicated HD screen, so quality is much more important, if you see what I'm trying to say :rolleyes:

I notice news sites such as DVD Times and HighDefDigest are deleting details of the BluRay Paramount titles - it really amazes me how suddenly this whole move to HD DVD exclusivity has happened. I mean Paramount were clearly preparing BluRay releases of these titles - I guess they'll now be binned.

Yes. It was VERY sudden indeed. Weird.

Trying to look for some (very) small positive in this whole shambles is there any chance that rather than recall existing shop stock of Blu-Rays that Paramount might financially encourage retailers to shift at the discount simply to get them off the shelves?

Any thoughts on this?

As they will surely want existing titles off the shelves quickly, what would be the cheapest option for Paramount (write off v sale) to achieve this aim?

1) Instruct retailers to pull stock from shelves for disposal
2) Recall existing stocks from retailers for recycling
3) Encourage resellers to discount stock for quicker sale (recouping some monies in process)
4) Other.

More stuff to have to get off Sky HD Then...... Cheapest HD Option....... But limited to 1080i.........

Deano....... Keep it Blu

I'm not a bluray fanboy but I am in favour of 'one format'...

Then why did you initially buy 2 formats?

Or are you in favour of 1 format for everyone else and 2 for yourself?

Or were you in favour of 2 formats, but only 1 these days, since you sold your HD DVD player?

:confused:

Steve W

Paramont have officially said that there will be no recall on existing titles but stocks won't be replenished! :eek:

(Would provide a link but we've been told off about that!)

Paramont have officially said that there will be no recall on existing titles but stocks won't be replenished! :eek:

(Would provide a link but we've been told off about that!)

Mods: Can we change the title to "....cancels all upcoming and existing...."?

I guess some more enterprising individuals will start buying up stock and putting them on Ebay :suicide: I bet films like The Untouchables reach a fair price!

Oddly enough I ordered 6 titles from movietyme on Monday before I had read about this, 4 titles have shipped 2 have not, those 2 that have not are both Paramount titles hmmmmm :)

How is c£600 pa the cheapest option?

How is Sky HD £600 when i already have it, SORRY maybe i should of explained clearer.....i was trying to say the cheapest option for ME to get the Withdrawn Paramount titles would be for ME to watch them on sky HD....... sorry for any confusion.......... :rolleyes:

EDIT> at the moment i have 2 FREE HD movies from sky as a thank you -

How is c£600 pa the cheapest option?
Indeed - for that price you could buy a HD DVD player and over 40 1080p/24 HD DVDs with lossless audio. A much more sensible prospect IMHO - at least fi buying SkyHD just to get the movies that aren't on BluRay.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom